Sticky Trees - want them gone!

Old 03-16-06, 05:27 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sticky Trees - want them gone!

Help! I need information on how to cut down sticky trees (Sweet Gum Trees). We have 4 in the front yard and they're nothing but a nuisance. I've heard they're a hard wood to cut, so any help or advice would be great.

Old 03-16-06, 06:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 598 Posts
Welcome to the forums

What few gum trees I have cut down I had no problem. What is a problem with gum trees is trying to split the wood for fire wood. If it is split imediatetly after cutting - they will split fine. If you wait a day or so they are almost impossible to split.

Old 03-16-06, 09:55 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
one other possible solution

Presuming that the major problem with your gum trees is the gazillion gum balls you get every year, there are treatments now available that will stop the tree from forming them. Excepting the gum ball problem sweet gums are very attractive shade trees with beautiful fall color. The loss of large shade trees can have a negative impact on you property both in liveability and resale value. 38 years in the business and still learning.. greensboro_man

Old 03-16-06, 06:57 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
Depending on the height of the trees and their proximity to the house and any overhead power lines, this might be a job better hired out.

kathann voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: