Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

blue spruce pine trees in backyard - landscaping ideas

Old 03-16-06, 11:56 AM

hi, we bought our home 1 year ago and the old owner put in 11 blue spruce pine trees that basically took 80% of our backyard away from us. behind the pine trees we have 10 feet and then there's a busy street. the old owner wanted to make the pine trees match up with the neighbor's to the left and right of us which made a very crooked line with our blue spruce pine trees and took almost all of our backyward away.

the other downfall is a car smashed into 1 pine tree last year in the middle of the row so now we have nothing there. should i install another blue spruce pine or not? the trees are about 11 feet tall now so we cant move them down the hill at all to make our backyward bigger?

help, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-08, 07:48 AM
Hi Dinosaur,

Unfortunately when someone plants all one type of tree or shrub for a privacy screen and one dies off, it can become a problem. A couple of thoughts come to mind for your situation.

Do you like the blue spruce (they aren't pines but spruce)? They generally make a strong statement.

You don't say how tall the trees are, but I'm guessing that the extra 10' behind the trees are for potential mature growth.

Blue spruce tends to grow slowly and if you plant another, it will take years to catch up unless you can get one that is about the same size. If you like the look of the blue spruce but can't find another of similar size, you could keep them and add something else to fill in the area. Then repeat whatever it is that you plant either staggered in front of some of the blue spruce or off to the side. That way there will be continuity and your eyes won't just stop at the new plant. If you have the space you can plant in a WWWW pattern. Having something shorter in front of the row of trees that are there will add depth to the planting.

If you have the funds you could remove some or all the spruces and plant something else.

Without pictures it's hard to say exactly what to do.

Newt

Old 08-10-08, 01:21 PM
landscaping ideas

Check the insurance of the driver that destroyed the tree or your home owners insurance. That can go toward replacement or an alternate solution. Replacement cost on an 11' blue spruce is substantial, even if you cannot get a perfect color match.

Old 08-11-08, 07:03 PM
Concretemasonry makes a good point.

Newt

Old 08-12-08, 06:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you guys see the date of that post? it was 2 years ago!

Old 08-13-08, 08:20 PM
Greenguy, no I didn't notice the date. Now I don't remember what brought it to my attention. I was going through old emails and that might have done it.

Newt