trees

Old 03-17-06, 01:59 PM
trees

Can anyone suggest a tree for me to plant in my yeard that will grow fast and be good to have a tree house in. My son is about 9mo. old right now, and I am planning on planting a tree in my yard this year, but would like to plant one that would grow quick enough for him to be able to have a tree house in it while he is young. I am not sure that this is even posible.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-06, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
It would help if you said where you live. It makes a difference.

Old 03-20-06, 04:12 PM
Oh. Sorry. I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

Old 03-20-06, 07:59 PM
I don't know how large the tree would need to be in order to be suited for a tree house. Several trees grow fast: red maple, willow oak, tulip poplar are among the better trees. Many fast growing trees are weak, suffering from limbs breaking in storms and from snow and ice accumulation: bradford pear, silver maple. Pawlonia grows fast, but is messy with seeds and tough leaves; and is considered to be invasive. Of course, you can buy a tree of fairly substantial size to plant and get a head start. Check with your local agriculatural extension service for recommendations on trees for your locale.

Old 03-21-06, 03:34 AM
Group Moderator
Silver Maple grows exremely fast down here in NC and could be big enough for a tree house, but as chfite mentioned they are prone to storm damage (don't plant it close to your house).

Old 03-21-06, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
The problem I see is that any tree that grows fast enough for you to put a treehouse in it in a few years is also going to grow so fast as to disrupt the treehouse in only a season or two. I would look into planting some trees that are pretty big already. I have a neighbor who has moved some very big trees into his yard - they came at considerable expense, but they're already mature trees while the rest of us have trees barely taller than ourselves.

Old 03-21-06, 12:06 PM
Tree house tree

If River birch trees do well in your area it would be an excellent tree house tree. Use a three or four trunk specimen that is already 12 to 14 feet tall. You will need a tree that has widely spaced multiple trunks in order to have a stable platform for your tree house as quickly as possible. River birch trees grow very fast and consequently are not quite as expensive as some other trees of similar size. If you don't use a tree of substantial size in the beginning it is unlikely that the tree will be sturdy enough for a safe tree house by the time you need it.

How you prepare the planting area will have an enormous impact on the long term health and particularly important in your case the growth rate. Contact your local agricutural extention agent for specifics on planting preparation in your area.

On a personal note, I have 6 sons and two daughters and as they were coming along I planted a tree for each of them. I have a photo of my son Jamie still in diapers from 25 years ago helping to plant his new baby brothers' tree. Sadly we lost Jamie when he was 14. No effort or expense will be too great for the memories that tree house you plan to build will bring.

Best of luck with your tree house.... greensboro_man

Last edited by greensboro_man; 03-21-06 at 08:16 PM.