dog run

Old 03-20-06, 07:03 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dog run

I have a large dog run... that is the eye sore of my yard, i'm trying to improve the function along w/ the look of the the yard my main problem i'm haveing is what to do w/ the ground i've tried gravel, mulch,grass, i'm out of options i'm leaning toward concrete. dose anyone have any other ideas?

Old 03-20-06, 07:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
rollacrc6, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You could partially concrete it. This would help with the dogs nails also. Complete concrete would be very uncomfortable in the summer when it gets hot. You really need something that would help you easily clean it up also. Good luck.

Old 03-20-06, 08:15 AM
R
it is a well shaded area roughly 34' x 28' maybe a third of it see's any direct light in the summer in the winter it receives full light all day. concrete is really at the bottom of my list. i don't know what to do??? i looked into the fake grass...but is way out of my price range for this project

Old 04-01-06, 05:44 AM
D
I really think that concrete is the way to go - and I'm sure that the DIYers here an assist with how to do it economically. Think about it - you've already put money into mulch, grass, etc..... whereas with concrete, once you put it in, you will have minimum cost from then on. You could also line the outside of the run with Hostas to soften the look.

Blessings,

Old 04-01-06, 08:52 AM
G
gsr
Decomposed Granite

I've heard of a lot of dog parks using decomposed granite in the heavy use areas. Don't know much about it other than the name and lots of dog parks around the country use it. Might be a more dog friendly alternative to concrete.

Old 04-01-06, 10:03 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Concrete offers the advantage of lower maintenance. It can be hosed off and disinfected if necessary. The run's appearance can be softened with landscape plantings.

Old 04-03-06, 08:34 AM
R
decomposed granite is often refered too as "breeze" it works great for extened driveways and the such i've used quite a bit of it to make walk ways thru some of my plantings. i might try laying a combo of concrete and breeze out. and see what it could look like. thanks everyone!

Old 04-03-06, 07:32 PM
T
tux
I've seen several things used for ground coverings in dog runs. #1 is concrete. One of the lowest maintainance options however is decorative pine bark nuggets, shake them out and cut em open....seems to work well. Pea Gravel or Pond Pebbles work as well. This allows water ans urine to sink. (stone and similar still need raked) I also seen a post somewhere else saying non-porous pavers with the pebbles adds a nice effect. Although I would install end drainage or lagoon drainage. If you do go with concrete it should be slightly sloped and you should clean it with bleech and water every now and then.

What kind of dog do you own? A short haired dog will find concrete or grass uncomfortable where as a longer haired breed won't mind.

Instant Kennel Flooring is an option.

Old 04-04-06, 08:46 AM
R
i have 2 dogs... 1 lab and 1 st bernard, neither one of them seem to mind the concrete they both have a tendency to lay on the little slab that is by the door anyway.. i'm in the process of constructing a dog house for the 2 of them.. (8x10 shed.. haa haa) okay its not quite that big, what is instant kennel flooring?

Old 04-04-06, 02:40 PM
T
tux
I'm not 100% sure what it is made of as I have only seen it used and not used it myself but here is a like to a site I found via Google. http://www.yourfencestore.com/dogs/instantkf.htm

Their seems to be many stores who sell it online, just do a Google search.

Old 04-04-06, 03:10 PM
R
looks like pretty cool stuff... $$$ though... it and concrete are only about 50 cents cheaper a sq foot than the cool fake grass....my dogs may have to deal w/ a new fence (so i can't see the pen) and plain concrete, i can always use a place to park a boat or rv anyways....

Old 04-04-06, 04:11 PM
T
tux
I'm still designing the dog run for my new place (i've done a few when I owned other properties) and will probably use plain ol concrete. It's easy to maintain and fairly easy to work with but I figured I'd put the other options out their.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: