Drainage through clay

Old 03-20-06, 09:12 AM
Drainage through clay

Hi there all!

I have a project for this year I need some qualified opinions on.

I have an area beside my house that is about 7-8 feet wide and 40 feet long that is in dire need of proper drainage.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...DrainArea2.jpg

The soil is very heavey ( silty clay, I'm guessing). There is a cut bank on one side and a concrete footing in the other for the carport. There is about a foot of pit run rock over top and as you can see in the attached picture, riprap to secure the bank on the far end.

During snowmelt, the water accumulates in this area and does one of three things: it sits is a pool, seeps into the carport or runs down my driveway, creating a gully.

What I was thinking of doing was trenching the area and installing drain tile which would feed into a culvert of sorts that would drain out the far side of my driveway into a low area.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to cure the water problem, as I would like to frame in the carport and make a garage at some point.... I'm very concerned also about wet clay heaving and destroying the concrete footer.

Would also take suggestions on a retaining wall for the portion of the bank that isn't riprapped... at this point I'm thinking a plank wall would suffice.. but.. against heavy clay, would it??

I apologize for the snowy picture - it's still winter here. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-06, 02:21 PM
So Im not the only one in heavy clay. Your picture is hard to tell whats going on but I no this stuff holds water. This is what I would do, run the perforated drain tile someplace where water will run out easily. The problem is you'll throw clay on top plugging the pipe. This is what I found works great, first get your trench dug. Then lay about 3" of pee gravel or crushed stone and lay the pipe on top of this. And put about a foot of gravel on top of the pipe too. If you really want it to stay dry the fill trench all the way up with gravel and put no dirt on top. Also run a copper wire along side the tile and tree roots will never get in there and plug it up.

Old 03-20-06, 08:02 PM
What's the deal with copper wire?? Interesting.

I don't think I will have to worry about roots except maybe from grass and fireweed.

Old 03-20-06, 08:08 PM
Ever hear of copper sulfate? Aparently plants dont like copper, you put copper sulfate in you toilet and flush it once a year and it will kill any roots in the pipe but wont hurt the tree. I dump it in ponds and it kills the weeds. As the copper decomposes over the next 200 years it will leave trace amounts of copper in the soil and stop roots in there tracks.