Moss, moss, and more moss

Old 03-21-06, 09:02 PM
Moss, moss, and more moss

We've been unable to do much in the yard the past couple of years (health stuff), and after all the rain this winter we find we have a sea of moss. We had mossy areas before, but nothing like this. There's moss on the north shady parts of the roof, and the wide concrete sidewalk on the north side of the house looks like a kelly green fur carpet. The grout in the part of the chimney that remains shaded is all green. Moss has also covered an area that used to be a flower bed. It seems to be spreading in all directions. Does anyone know how to remove it and stop it from coming back? I'd appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-06, 05:07 PM
Moss in lawn can be due to one or more reasons for grass not growing. A soil test can tell you what amendments need to be made to soil. There are moss kill products available for lawns.

For more info on moss in lawn: http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/lawn003/lawn003.htm

For algae, moss, mold, and mildew growing on house and sidewalks there are commercial products available. These come in granules that can be sprinkled and there are sprays. After spraying it may take a few weeks to die. After 4-6 weeks you may discover you have been left with stains. You can followup by powerwashing with some of the solution in your cleaning solution. Once everything is clean, spray again to prevent return. Note: spraying up the roof is not recommended because water is forced under shingles. Copper ridge flashings are known to prevent the growth of moss on roofs. Zinc strips installed on roof also help.

Green algae on roofs is spread by close or overhanging trees. Prune trees to allow more air and light into lawn and to provide more air circulation around the home. Branches should be back 8-10 feet from home. Fungus and algae on roof shortens the life of the shingles.

Problems usually occur first on north side of roof and house where moisture remains longer. Algae/fungus need moisture, heat, and nutrients which they find on the roof. Some homes are more susceptible because of the direction the house faces, the type and grade of shingles, if the home is located near water, and if weather is hot and humid. Leaves and pine needles left on roof promote moss, fungus, and algae growth.

For the amount of moss/algae that you describe, I'd call a professional. DIY cleaners may leave you with a streaked roof and dead shrubbery.

Old 03-23-06, 03:23 PM
Thanks Twelvepole!

I appreciate your detailed discussion and will follow your advice. Thank you so much for the guidance. The moss we have is the same in all locations; it's the sort that bonsai tree growers often harvest to landscape under their dwarf trees. It would be pretty if it weren't such a nuisance.

Sorry to trouble you again, but what sort of professional would we call about the roof? What would I look under in the yellow pages?

Thanks again.

Old 03-24-06, 04:07 PM
There are pressure washing companies that do this. I would interview at least three carefully to determine how they will go about removing it and what products they will use.