Canary Island Date Palm Tree

Old 03-23-06, 10:50 PM
wannahack
Visiting Guest
Canary Island Date Palm Tree

Hi all,
Had a landscaper install a Canary Island Palm tree (in Houston, Texas) about 3 months ago (in Mid-Dec).. It seemed to be in shock for a while as the outer branches dried up and eventually fell down for cutting.. It really hasn't grown at all and I'm scared that it may be infected with something.. when the landscaper installed it, he used my native clay soil.. 2 weeks ago, i dug all that up, and used a compost, sand, soil mix to replace it and also removed the hemp root covering that he left on (all on others advice)... just wanted to know if anyone else has any experience with these palms... the landscaper of course won't return calls anymore... Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-24-06, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Canary Island Date Palm

I have a Canary Island Date Palm tree as the main feature in my front yard.
It was in when I bought the house 5 years ago and has grown about 3 feet in 5 years.
They grow fairly slowly. Look for the new growth to come out of the top middle of the plant.
I never even fertilize mine, never looks like it needs anything. It obviously likes where it is.
You could fertilize yours with some palm tree fertilizer. Take a piece of re-bar and a small sledge hammer and make some holes about 18" deep in five locations around the base of the tree, out about a foot from the stem. Drive the re-bar part way in and kind of wallow it around to make the hole bigger. Then do this again when the re-bar is full depth. Fil the hole with the fertilizer and water in.
I fertilize all my palms this way...old Florida trick!!!

Old 03-24-06, 11:40 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The Canary Island date palm does not like to be transplanted and the loss rate is high. Check your warranty about replacement and call the landscaper. They need full sun and moist, well-drained soil. Damage to lower trunk and roots can be devastating. Watch for insect pests: giant palm weevil, palm leaf skeletonizer and scales. Trees are vulnerable to ganoderma rot, lethal yellowing disease and leaf spot.

Old 03-24-06, 11:54 AM
wannahack
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by twelvepole
The Canary Island date palm does not like to be transplanted and the loss rate is high. Check your warranty about replacement and call the landscaper.
hi 12pole,
that's the problem.. he's not returning calls anymore and before the tree is completely gone, i wanted to see if there's anything that can be done to save it... I'm glad the wife was the one that went out and bought this tree.. if it were me that had, i would have been buried next to the tree already!!

thanks for replying.. hoping this 600 investment wasn't a bad one...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: