Large retaining wall

Old 03-26-06, 03:47 PM
Large retaining wall

I am going to have a large retaining wall constructed. Probably 15-20 ft high, 50 ft long (or so) to level off my yard. What type of companies would I need to work with to get this done? What cost effective material might be recommended to construct the wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-06, 06:16 PM
I would first consult with a landscape engineer. Drainage issues and possible terracing may be considerations. You might want to consider the lock blocks. You see them everywhere these days. http://www.ultrablock.com/

Old 03-27-06, 04:39 AM
Large retaining wall

Considering the height you definitely need a professional to get the most out of your space.

A landscape contractor usually does this type of work, but other contractors with the background and equipment can do it. You may want to start with a design and the have contractors give you proposals (if they can get legal approval).

As twelvepole mentioned, you can go with a terraced system or just one wall. Each has advantages. With 15 to 20 feet of height, you cannot build a simple gravity wall by piling up something. A permanent retaing wall is one of the most difficult structures to design. The construction can be easy.

Your engineer (civil) is probably familiar with all the systems (different names with similar products) that are used by municipalites and other major users. You will need a professional to sign off on the plans. Take a look at the site of the major systems (Allan Block, Anchor Wall Systems, Keystone and Versalok) that are available everywhere and have good information and ideas for planning. These systems all have good support that makes the easy for the professional.

With that amount of elevation, you can expect to move a lot of dirt.

Dick