Changing valve in sprinkler box

Old 04-03-06, 08:44 AM
jrlvnv
Visiting Guest
Changing valve in sprinkler box

My problem lies where my drip system shuts off the drippers still drip water. Someone came out and said my valve is bad and needs to be replaced. He wanted to charge me 100 dollars. I thought that price was high and would like some insight on how to go about replacing the valve myself.... The brand name is the standard Rain Byrd and is about 7 years old. Any advise would be great on what I need to do in order to get the old one out and the new one in. Thanks so much guys

Jeff

Old 04-03-06, 01:25 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is a link to the Rain Bird page which allows you to download the manuals appropriate for your system and to reach the manufacturer for other questions.

http://************/zs9xl

Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-06, 04:44 PM
R
It could just be a bad solonoid that's letting water through. You could try unscrewing a solonoid from another valve and replacing the old one to see if it works before buying a new one. Just be careful when you take it off because there's a 'rod' and a spring inside of the solonoid housing - they won't be under tension but just be careful not to lose them.
You can pick up a new solonoid from Lowes or Home Depot for around $8.00. They come with a little white plastic ring that holds the rod in place, this plastic piece may or not be needed. If you try the new solonoid and water is still getting through, try prying out the plastic ring.

Old 04-08-06, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by jrlvnv
My problem lies where my drip system shuts off the drippers still drip water. Someone came out and said my valve is bad and needs to be replaced. He wanted to charge me 100 dollars. I thought that price was high and would like some insight on how to go about replacing the valve myself.... The brand name is the standard Rain Byrd and is about 7 years old. Any advise would be great on what I need to do in order to get the old one out and the new one in. Thanks so much guys

Jeff

I charge a little more than that for a single valve, it takes labor and skill to do it right.
You can try changing parts like solenoid or diaphragm, I've never seen it work for more than 2-3 months so that's why in order to offer you a warranty we usually change the whole thing.
Just make sure he will replace the actual valve,body and all, also stay away from screw on couplers they always leak after some time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: