Secure Landscape tie to concrete

Old 04-03-06, 11:23 AM
Luthar28
Visiting Guest

Long story short, I am attempting to secure landscape ties (3x5 pressure treated lumber) to a layer of concrete. What would be the best way of doing this?

They are basically running alongside a driveway, so I'd like them secured fairly securely. I was thinking some sort of spike but I'm not sure how I'd drill through the P/T and the concrete...or if there's a product already out there that would help me out.

Old 04-05-06, 01:09 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Landscape timbers... are you sure you want to.....

In our experience over the years landscape timbers, the 3X5 treated wood pieces, have not been satisfactory at all. They look OK at first but over time many of them have a tendency to warp and twist. I don't know exactly what you have in mind but I would suggest you consider using larger treated wood such as 4X6 or 6X6. Just my 2 cents worth... 38 years in the business and still learning.. Greensboro_man

Old 04-05-06, 08:19 AM
C
If you want permanent mounting, let the timbers dry. Adhere them to the clean concrete with construction adhesive.

To drill the holes, rent a hammer drill from the rental store. Drill the holes for the wood and concrete at the same time. Insert rebar, pipe, or whatever you choose. For the 4x6 or 6x6 timbers, you will have to drill the timber separately, set in position, mark the spot on the concrete, then drill the concrete separately.

I would be inclined to set the timbers on the soil next to the drive, and mount them to the soil with rebar stakes.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-05-06, 03:32 PM
Luthar28
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. I was just using hte 3x5s as a garden edger, but if they're that bad, perhaps I'll upgrade them to something larger.

So if I'm going to put them in the dirt rather than the concrete, how deep must I dig a trench for them? 2-3 inches? I was just thinking that it might be a cleaner look if I put them on the edge of the concrete.

Old 04-05-06, 04:58 PM

You are trying to mate a temporary material (treated wood) to a more permanent material (concrete) and hold back a wet material (soil). Wood and moisture do not do well together and the driveway will still survive.

Consider a more permanent and more adaptable material for your project. Even landscape block set on the soil will be better for you application as you describe it.

Glue and adhesives do not work on wet materials.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: