stump

Old 04-05-06, 01:55 PM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
stump

Our townhouse management company removed a pine tree from our front lawn at our request. It was 18" wide, dripping sap, clogging drains and ruining the lawn. B/c it was so established, it sat on an elevated mound of about 1 1/2 ' high and tapering out to about 10 feet. I did not expect them to 'stump grind' it + I don't want to pay to have it done either-it would require some major digging etc. However, the stump is above ground about 8 inches on top of the mound so we are talking some height. We don't want to make it more conspicuous with a wheel barrow or pots etc.
I have heard about chemicals that eat away at stumps + a theory about charcoal + lighter fluid.
We can't think of a way out of this other than pour a lot of top soil over the entire area and plant grass around the stump and perhaps pachysandra over the stump if it will grow in shallow soil.
Anyone have an idea re: this dilemna?
Thank you

Old 04-05-06, 02:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you might be in need of a quicker solution, but I used a granular stump remover. You drill several holes in the stump and pour the granules in followed by hot water. It worked very well for me, a couple months later the stump came up with a gentle tug (w/o damaging the lawn around it).

Can pick it up at any home supply center or nursery.

Old 04-05-06, 02:27 PM
P
stump

How deep are the holes you drill?
The idea sounds good and thank you.

Old 04-05-06, 03:27 PM
S
I used a 1/2" wood drill bit, about 4 inches long. I drilled the holes about 2-3 inches apart. It was a smaller stump, you may want to use a bit that will go deeper and drill the holes a little farther apart. The product should have recommendations on the label, I don't recall the name, but it came in a red & white plastic canister.

Good Luck.

Old 04-06-06, 05:28 AM
P
stump

Thank you for the information.

Old 04-07-06, 12:49 PM
H
another idea is to drill a large hole and fill with soil and a type of plant that will grow and cover the stump (think of something that comes in a hanging basket) i have done with great results...

Old 04-07-06, 01:47 PM
P
stump

Thank you all for your suggestions. I got great news that my townhouse management company is going to stumpgrind, spread topsoil, seed and cover with straw.
Hard to believe but what a relief.
Thanx again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: