Level yard, to much dirt around pine tree?

Old 04-07-06, 09:44 AM
Level yard, to much dirt around pine tree?

Hello,

New member first post.

I live in a subdivision and yesterday I had 13 loads of dirt delivered to my back yard. The dirt was bought in to level the yard. I have 5 full grown Southern Pines and my concern is about the amount of dirt I put around them.

There is about 3 feet of dirt around the base of the Pine Trees now. Will this kill the trees or can Pine Trees adjust? If 3 feet is to much, how many feet of dirt can I get away with?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-06, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
I'm no expert, but I think any more than a couple of inches [if that] and you're looking for trouble.

Old 04-07-06, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
I'm no expert, but I think any more than a couple of inches [if that] and you're looking for trouble.

Thanks Tow guy

I called ACE and was told they would die. I could cover up around the roots a few inches but once I start covering up the trunk it will die.

I was able to dig a circle around the trees and I think that will work and it doesn't look to bad.

thanks

Old 04-07-06, 12:46 PM
make some king of "well" around the trunks - if you have kids do it carefully so they do not fall in - a 3 foot drop is huge.

Old 04-07-06, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Might do as habs suggests with maybe a border of some kind - those border/retaining wall blocks or similar.

Old 04-07-06, 05:45 PM
You should not add more than one inch of soil under the canopy of a tree. Over time the tree will suffocate and die. For the leveling work you describe, it would be better to remove the trees and plant new ones after the work is complete.