Underground sprinkler system w/ garden hose?

Old 04-07-06, 12:47 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Underground sprinkler system w/ garden hose?

Would it be possible/practical to make something similar to the LawnBelt system but with garden hose instead? I would like to have a system similar to that but I'm not really interested in spending $140 each zone for their system if I can do it cheaper.

I'm trying to figure out a semipermanent system for the front and back of my house which would require two runs of about 75 feet (front and back) and 4 or maybe 5 heads. I would like to bury the hose but I'm concerned with it rotting - although if the hose stays out year round in the sun, it ought to do Ok in the ground, right?

Let me know if this is half-baked or not.. it seems as though all I would need would be sprinkler heads with in-line hose fittings, garden hose and hose repair kits to make custom lengths between heads - right?

Old 04-07-06, 03:15 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,166 Votes on 1,124 Posts
Old 04-07-06, 05:47 PM
C
www.jessstryker.com is a good site to learn about irrigation systems and things of that nature.

Old 04-08-06, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by jcostantino
Would it be possible/practical to make something similar to the LawnBelt system but with garden hose instead? I would like to have a system similar to that but I'm not really interested in spending $140 each zone for their system if I can do it cheaper.

I'm trying to figure out a semipermanent system for the front and back of my house which would require two runs of about 75 feet (front and back) and 4 or maybe 5 heads. I would like to bury the hose but I'm concerned with it rotting - although if the hose stays out year round in the sun, it ought to do Ok in the ground, right?

Let me know if this is half-baked or not.. it seems as though all I would need would be sprinkler heads with in-line hose fittings, garden hose and hose repair kits to make custom lengths between heads - right?

dont do mickey mouse stuff, install the real deal with class 200 3/4 " pvc pipe, pop-up sprinklers and an electric valve, they're not expensive at all if you know what you're doing.

Old 04-10-06, 09:16 AM
S
Irrigation is one the easiest things out there. We are doing my front yard right now for around $100 for 3 zones.

PVC pipe at Home Depot is $2.15 for 10'. Connectors are less than a $1 each. Sprinkler heads are $4 for the adjustable ones.

All you need beyond that is a shovel for trenching, a hacksaw to cut the PVC, some Red Hot Glue to cement the pieces together and a day or two in the yard (make sure you get glue that is ok for potable water).

If you don't have an electrical connection or spot to do a full valve system, there is this product here by Orbit, which is what we are using in the front and can run up to 4 zones.

http://www.sunmate.com/index.cfm?fa=...t&productid=32

Orbit also has a free sprinkler system design program...
http://www.orbitonline.com/index.cfm...re.designPage1

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: