cedar Needle Problem

Old 04-12-06, 08:39 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cedar Needle Problem

Hi folks,

I've gotta question. I have a couple of small cedar shrubs in my front yard and the landscaping beneath them has been done in crushed rock. Since cedar shrubs drop alot of needles, the question I have is, what is the best and easiest way to clean cedar needles off of the crushed rock.

Thanks in advance
F.O.G.

Old 04-14-06, 02:53 AM
G
Common problem with permanant type mulches...

A major challenge when useing rock, stone, brick chip, etc., type mulches is the problem you are having with the natural process of plants shedding their oldest foliage or, in your case, needles. Over time, plant litter added to other wind blown debris, can cause your stone mulched landscape beds to look shabby and it can be quite a chore to clean them out.

We use a power blower with careful throttle control with a rapid side to side motion to clear small debris from stone mulched areas.

The problem you are having is one of several reasons we prefer using natural mulches in our landscape projects. Hope this suggestion helps.. 38 years in the business and still learning...
Greensboro_man

Old 04-14-06, 04:43 PM
F
Thanks for the tip but one of the reasons I went to gravel over bark mulch was because of mess the needles made in the bark mulch and the fact that since it's right outside the front door my dogs were dragging in barkmulch continually. I've got a blower with a vaccum attachment and thought i could probably use that when the time came since it's not a very big area.

Thanks
F.O.G.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: