Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Building up soil in low spot around house and redirecting water flow

Old 04-19-06, 05:36 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

We have a small area at the back of our house underneath our deck that water puddles when it rains and just sits there. I think it's a combination of being a low spot where the water accumulates and water from the gutter backing up. Once I redirect the gutter spout water, how should I build up the low spot to help with drainage? Sand and topsoil? Topsoil and gravel? What would be the best way to provide proper water flow in a small trench. Sand and topsoil? Topsoil and gravel? Just gravel? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-19-06, 08:16 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First you have to figure out where you want the water to go - which is NOT anywhere near your foundation or into regularly trafficed areas where it creates a mud pit. One solution would be to create a dry well and put in a drain, surrounded by pavers or other flagstone-type rocks. The dry well should be at least 3' deep and as much wide. Use a 3" - 4" pipe going from the spot where the water tends to pool to top 1/3 the dry well (drill holes in the pipe.) Fill the hole with a combination of gravel and larger rocks. Top off with 3 pieces of roofing tar paper to keep soil out. Fill over the top with soil. Put a drain cover on.

We did our dry well about 5' away from the patio where water was pooling. The link below shows you a much larger and more complicated system. We didn't use the barrel they show and just filled a hole with rock - it has worked beautifully all winter since we installed the dry well the patio hasn't flooded once.

http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=17944

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: