Stone in mulch bed

Old 04-24-06, 10:58 AM
HTRK-1
Visiting Guest
Stone in mulch bed

We are considering putting red stone in the flower beds around our property. We wanted something we didn't have to put down every year. Should we put plastic down on top of the old mulch and cut around the plants. Or just throw the stone on top of the existing mulch? We considered the new rubber mulch, but the quantity we would need would cost a fortune and no one around here sells it in bulk, only by the bag. Thanks in advance

Old 04-24-06, 02:50 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would suggest using what is known as "mulch film" or "weed control" which is a porous perforated plastic film that lets water through but does not allow growth such as weed to sprout through it.As for rubber mulch this is made of ground up tires and is,IMO,pollution when spread on the ground...and as you mentioned it generally retails for up to six times regular mulch.

Old 04-24-06, 03:19 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,166 Votes on 1,124 Posts
A lot of work, but I'd take out the bark mulch before adding stone mulch. If that's more than you want to do, go with the weed fabric spdavid suggested.

Old 04-24-06, 07:45 PM
G
think long and hard...again

As I have said in previous post the decision to switch to an inorganic mulch is probably not the panacea that it might seem to be. Once you introduce rock, brick chips, rubber or any other type of inorganic mulch into your landscape you are pretty much locked in from now on. It may be something like installing a carpet you can never change.

Mulches of that type do not look good forever, they accumulate wind born debris, plant litter (all plants shed their oldest foliage from time to time) small leaves and other junk that is hard to remove.

To add insult to injury as these organic debris accumulate those difficult to clear out areas become havens for wind blown weed and grass seed. The so called "weed barrier" products will offer no protection from any air born infestation, more than that the weed barrier product can be a problem itself in the future as it isn't biodegrade and can be a problem when doing any additional planting or making any changes in you landscape beds.

So the decision is yours, wishing you well with your project.. 38 years in the business and still learning, Greensboro_man

Old 04-24-06, 08:19 PM
S
The last thing that you might want to consider is that organic mulches are much healthier for your plants. Almost all plants have feeder roots near the surface and the slow breakdown of mulches made from organic mulches provides important nutrients to your plants and trees.

What you put into the ground is no where near as important as what you put on top of the ground.

http://www.palospark.org/TreeBody/mulching.htm
http://www.largessforestry.com/page20.html

Old 04-25-06, 03:10 AM
HTRK-1
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the replies. I understand the advantages to mulching with bark mulch over stone. My wife and I purchased this "new to us" home and on an almost half acre lot there is hardly any lawn. The previous owner turned most of it into flower beds. He did a really nice job, using a blue rock to frame each bed (It's really beautiful). It's just a little overwelming when you think of the amount maintenance it will require spring and fall.

Old 04-28-06, 02:15 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
For weed control, landscaping cloth is recommended over plastic as it allows moisture to pass through to roots. Red rocks or other rock mulch can be quite troublesome, as indicated, because it becomes cluttered with leaves, pine needles, and other lawn debris which is often difficult to remove.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: