2 year old birch is half dead...

Old 04-29-06, 04:31 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 year old birch is half dead...

Hi there. We moved into a new home 3 years ago and planted 3 trees last summer. We had them planted by the nursery - 2 birch and one japanese maple. They're about 15 feet tall each.

The maple is fine, looks great. However, both birch trees look like the lower half of the tree branches are all dead. We're in the middle of spring here, it's almost May, no leaves on the lower half of either tree. Sparse leaves are on the upper half of both trees - some leaves on the middle of branches but none on the ends.

I'm not really sure what to do with them. Should I prune those branches? Is there any type of "tree food" I can give the tree?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Old 04-30-06, 06:16 PM
G
birch tree problems

Are your trees white birch or river (brown bark) , also in what part of the country do you live?

Generally it is never a good sign when the outer limbs of a tree have died back. If you have dead limbs I would definitely prune them away. On the taller limbs you may have to use a "pole prunner" to reach up that high.

Liquid fertilizers, such as Miracle Gro, are basically small amounts of plant food desolved in water. If you have a hose sprayer or equiv., using the liquid fertilizer mixed as the label directs, spray the foliage and also soak the root zone as often as the label directions allow. This may help invigorate a sickly tree.

In my part of the country, central North Carolina, white birches are not native and have a difficult time surviving in the long term.

Your local agricultural extention agent can be a very good resource in identifying any disease or insect problem you may be having.

Best of luck with your trees, 38 years in the business and still learning..Greensboro_man

Old 04-30-06, 08:33 PM
L
Originally Posted by BHesdon
Hi there. We moved into a new home 3 years ago and planted 3 trees last summer. We had them planted by the nursery
if you had a nursery install plants less than a year ago, you might want to check to see if they offer some kind of warranty. many nurserys offer a 1 year woody plant warranty that will be worth your while to check out. as long as a professional installed it, you will be valid.
good luck

Old 05-06-06, 11:07 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It would be best to call the nursery that planted the trees. You will want to know what is causing the dying of branches, especially if it is disease.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: