how can i learn and earn in landscaping?

Old 04-30-06, 07:56 AM
how can i learn and earn in landscaping?

im an eager person living in east long island and i want to know where to turn to start leaning landscaping. should i start with a local landscaper who will probably work me to the bone like his help for some time but will also allow me to see up close how landscaping is done.
anybody in the field know any sites i can visit, or if simply going to work p/t for a landscaper is a good start?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-06, 12:13 PM
There are landscape architecture and design schools. There are many good books about landscape design. You also need a rich background in types of soils and plants. You need a working knowledge of plant identification and plant health, soils, and fertilizers. It is helpful to know how to service garden tractors and other tools used in landscaping. You will need to know how to create landscape designs using shrubs and ground covers, plus much more. Landscapers get hired based on education, experience, portfolios, and often professional organizations to which they belong. If you have no education or experience, an entry level position with a landscaping company is a place to begin if you want to learn and earn.

http://www.umsl.edu/services/govdocs/ooh9899/108.htm

Old 05-01-06, 08:48 AM
western texas college has an associates degree in golf course maint. and landscape technology. check out their web site. you may have to google as i dont know their site off hand.

Old 05-01-06, 01:00 PM
you can learn a lot in school, but i assure you nothing is more valuable then experience in the field. i can speak from my own experience of both schooling in Landscape Architecture and field work that thus far, the field work teaches you much more.
general horticulture will also add to your knowledge. it will be very helpful for you to learn plant and shrub identification as well as plants most used in planting designs. i stress upon you, do not neglect the horticulture aspect of it. plants grow, and many people do not think of that when it is planted. white pines for instance are typically planted at 8 feet and grow upwards of twenty in under 10 years.
if you're interested in learning more, contact your local ag-extension agent for information on native species of plants. also, go to the local gardening center for some books on plant ID.
as i've learned, any idiot can learn how to put a tree in a hole, but it's the people that do it with knowledge and purpose that do it best.
remember, experience is key. if you get a part time job and people start hearing about it, they'll begin asking for your help. believe me, i know. from there, its word of mouth. once you get yourself a good number of people, you can grow from there.
good luck, any questions i'd be more than happy to help. i have much experience with landscape contracting and landscape architecture