Black/purple mould on flagstone walkway?

Old 05-22-06, 04:44 PM
Question Black/purple mould on flagstone walkway?

Hello,

Last month, I had a flagstone walkway and steps installed in the front of my house. It's been raining almost non-stop for about 8 days, now, and the stones on the flat/walking surface (not the steps, nor the walkway near the street) have developed purple, then black spots. Some have even gone completely black.

How normal is this? The area affected is bordered by cedar mulch.

The contractor said he'd come by to check, but I haven't seen him, yet.

Thanks for any insight!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-06, 10:54 AM
Did your contractor ever show up?

Are the black and purple spots possibly from organic staining or mold or mildew growth?

Old 05-28-06, 04:50 AM
Hi, yes, he did show up, and said he'd never seen anything like that. He said he wasn't going to try to 'make up' an answer, and that "honestly, I've never had this happen".

I ran a mild bleach/water solution over them, and the black came off pretty easily. If I had to guess (which I do, ha ha), I'd say that it was mildew from all of the rain we had.

Old 06-01-06, 09:13 AM
I think I'm getting irritated, now. It rained a lot last night, after a good week of sun and hot temps. Woke this morning to the same darned black/purple spots!

Help, please!!

Old 06-02-06, 08:29 AM
So I take it the contractor did nothing about it?...and isn't going back again?

I've been trying to do some research on flagstone but I can't figure it out. I'm not a pro, just trying to help...so...

Did they put some sort of sealant over it? If no one responds to this thread...do some search on google.

Old 06-03-06, 07:28 AM
Flagstone

I have Arizona Flagstone and have been getting black stains on them as well. I believe it is mold. I was told to try detergent and rub them off but this didn't work. The most drastic is a type of acid that I would get at the Flagstone store.
I think I'll try the bleach and water first.
My extra problem is I have ground cover between the flagstone and I'm sure I'll kill all of it and it will cost a $$$$$
I am in Ca. and we did have a lot of rain.

Lori

Old 06-07-06, 09:58 AM
HI again

The contractor didn't tell me to seal the stones.

I used bleach once again, the stains came off, and after I rinsed with water and let them dry, I used a stone seal. So far, so good. Then again, it hasn't really rained a lot this past week. The weather forecast is for a few days of rain starting tonight, so I'll see what the stone look like on the weekend.

I'll update.

Thanks for your help and insight.