Prince of Wales juniper trouble

Old 05-23-06, 07:40 PM
Prince of Wales juniper trouble

I have steep hillside along my driveway that has very thick Prince of Wales Juniper for groundcover. I have 2 problems this year. The first is that it seems to be dying out in a few large sections (4x4 feet). It seems very moist and tangled up underneath. I bought the house less than 2 years ago, so I don't know the age, but it is VERY dense. Could it be dying out form being too thick, kind of like when a hedge dies out because it is so dense the sun doesn't get into it. Also I have quite a bit of Creeping Charlie working its way from the neighbors yard into the juniper. It doesn't seem to be harming it, as the dying sections have none spreading into it. Can I put something on it to kill the Creeping Charlie without damageing the Juniper. I don't mind pulling it out. It's on a steep hill and makes for quite a bit of bending and stretching excercise.
Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-06, 10:24 AM
Not a pro, but I read up that the Prince of Wales juniper only needs occasional water when it's established. It seems that it may be overwatered since the creeping charlie is hanging around. I would definitely start pulling the creeping charlie out.

Old 05-29-06, 06:38 PM
Thank you for the response. I don't water this section at all. It gets rain and the runoff of the driveway. We have had almost 3 solid weeks of rain. Maybe that's the problem. I think I may also thin it out a bit. It is very dense. Again, Thank you for the response.