Playground and mulch

Old 05-27-06, 07:22 PM
Playground and mulch

We're having someone put in a playground in our wooded area adjacent to our backyard. We're also thinking about using cypress mulch, but we've heard that we need to put down mulching fiber. Is this the same as the weed prevention fiber by dupont sold at lowes?

Is this the right thing to do?

Thanks in advance
Ming

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-06, 07:57 AM
landscape fabrics underneath mulch

My personal opinion of weed barrier fabrics is that their most beneficial function is to generate profits for the companies that make or sell them.

Reasons: the vast majority of weed problems you will ever encounter will come from wind blown seeds that will land on the surface of whatever mulch or stone surface you might use. Weed barrier fabrics will have absolutely no protective value in that situation. Lateral entry by invasive grasses such as bermuda grass wont be stopped either.

IMO in a play area your best option is to use a very heavy layer of a shreaded type mulch at least 8 to 10 inches deep then deal with your weed problems with light applications of Roundup or manually if your opposed to using chemicals.

Bottom line.. if you put weed barrier fabrics down it will not stop weeds and grasses from growing on the surface of your mulch ,what ever kind you use. So why spend the money and more over why introduce a non biodegradable synthetic product into a below the surface situation. Someday you might want to change that area to another use and your stuck with trying to remove that stuff.

I wish you good luck with your project...38 years in the business and still learning, Greensboro_man

reaso

Old 05-29-06, 12:51 PM
Wood mulch can draw yellow jackets who love to nest in it. We had to remove all our mulch from our playgrounds at work for this exact reason ( a School District). Our insurance carrier would not allow wood mulch. The only acceptable products right now are rubber mulch or pea size river rock (which I think is stupid, who wants to fall into stones).

Old 05-30-06, 10:09 AM
Ughh..didn't think about that. It sounds like I should use the rubber mulch designed for playgrounds instead of mulch (But a lot more expensive!!)

Old 05-30-06, 02:20 PM
Bear in mind that rubber mulch is made from ground up tires.By using it you are in effect releasing ground up tires into the environment.IMO this is not the way to recycle tires and it will be impossible to ever remove all the rubber put down and therefore will be a long term or permanent presence in the area it is used in.I'm not condemning anyone who uses rubber mulch and understand that sometimes there either is no real viable alternative or it is mandated one way or another.I just feel that it needs to be mentioned that rubber mulch is for all intent and purposes a form of pollution.

Old 05-30-06, 04:56 PM
I am not even going to go there since breathing actually is a form of polution too.

Rubber mulch is very expensive which makes it cost prohibitive. But that decision is all yours.

Old 05-30-06, 05:22 PM
yellow jackets,rubber mulch, equally desireable

Maybe there are regional differences in yellow jackets but in going on 4 decades of close involvement with mulched landscaped areas I have never encountered yellow jackets in wood mulch (pine bark, shredded harwood etc.).

That doesn't mean that it cannot happen but to say that those kind of mulches draw yellow jackets is not consistant with my experience.

Rubber mulch comes from shredded tires.. not exactly the best example of an earth friendly product. What about when those used tires rolled through untold quantities of roadway contaminants? Has that rubber mulch been decontaminated?

I hope common sense prevails.. best of luck with your project, 38 years in the business and still learning.. Greensboro_man