Infested Pine?

Old 06-14-06, 06:40 PM
Infested Pine?

Hello All,

We have two pine trees, they are on both corners of the front of the house, they are actually pretty close to the house and will probably have to come down however I think they are being damaged from a borer of some kind. Whatever it is, it doesnt look pretty. Does anyone have any insight as to what is happening here? I am going to link a photo album I put online so you can see what the damage is.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ccsjno...?.dir=/f7c6scd

Thanks for any info!

-Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-06, 07:07 PM
Beetles. Lindane always worked but it is one of those evironmentally harmful products that they pulled from the market.

You need a tree surgeon asap.

Old 06-14-06, 07:27 PM
The sad truth is that they will be coming down because of their proximity to the house, probably sooner than later now.. Realisticly would getting any treatment on them do any good since they are so eaten up? Would it just be better to take them down? Also, by keeping them up, do they present a danger to other pines in the area?

Thanks for the input

Old 06-14-06, 08:55 PM
Looks a lot worse than it is...

You have spruce trees, The problem you have is not borer damage it is from a type of bird. Note the geometric pattern of the holes. I know of a tree like yours that has had this kind of damage for more than 30 years and is still growing quite well.

This type of spruce grows very slowly and I've seen them growing closer to homes than yours are and they've been growing there for over 80 years .

They definitely do not pose a danger to any other trees nearby. If you like the trees just do a little prunning if they are contacting your house and enjoy them, they are beautiful trees.

They would benefit from a quality fertilizer application once a year. Broadcast the fertilizer as you would lawn fertilizer underneath the spread of the branches plus a few feet farther out. The spring is the ideal time to apply the plant food but now would be ok.

I wish you well... 38 years in the business and still learning, Greensboro_man

Old 06-15-06, 08:26 AM
hmmm.. Well that is much better news than I figured I would see today. The holes did seem a little too perfect to me, and the original theory was that a bird was doing it, but then again, I am not expert hence the reason I am posting here :-)

Should I attempt to stop this bird from doing damage? I guess the real question is, is there anything I can do to make him stop?

I really do like these trees and would like to see them stay, I just wanted to make sure that the house wouldnt suffer as a result, the pruning can be done and has been done in the past, but I wanted to make sure the foundation wouldnt be hit by them. From what I understand, the root systems of these trees are not that harsh so the foundation should stand up ok, correct?

Old 06-15-06, 02:26 PM
More good news

As to discouraging the bird I don't know of a sure fire way.
Some folks have suggested the blow up owls or snakes hung from the tree. I don't have any first hand experience using them.

Most foundation/root problems happen when the crawl space has a wetness problem. Roots will grow toward a water source, so if the areas under your home are properly dry you shouldn't have a problem.

If you do have larger roots going toward the foundation just dig around them a bit and cut them, the tree won't be damaged.

Best of luck.....Greensboro_man