This tree smells TERRIBLE!!!! Please Read.

Old 06-28-06, 07:49 AM
This tree smells TERRIBLE!!!! Please Read.

I have been wondering in the last week or so what the heck that terrible smell is coming from my backyard. It litterally smells up the garage and the entire house. I have a chesnut tree right in my backyard, and it just went into bloom. I thought it was that, but then thought, how could this be.....

I havent owned the house for a full year yet, so this is my first experience with this. Upon doing some research, I did find that people say a Japanese Chesnut smells like Clorox bleach, but very pudgent. I mean, it is discusting.

It also has furry white things, about 4 inches or so long, that appear to be its blooming traits.... They've just started.

Anyway, am I on the right track here? Does anyone have this problem. If it is confirmed, the chainsaws coming out this weekend...

Please help before I throw up......

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-06, 02:56 PM
Hi Jim,

Get out the chainsaw and put some Vicks under your nostrils.
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=219057
http://ag.udel.edu/udbg/trees/descri...ollissima.html

Newt

Old 06-28-06, 03:02 PM
I personally don't know why anyone would want a chestnut in their yard. In Va where I'm from whole blocks would stink with that unholy stench. If they don't stink they drop huge super sharp spiked balls all over the yard you need gloves to pick up and god help you if you step on one. I agree with Newt to cut the sucker down.

Old 06-29-06, 03:22 AM
Im mixing up a tank of 2-stroke as we speak.

Thanks fellas!! I knew that SOB was the culprit...

Old 06-29-06, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by BuiLDPro68
I personally don't know why anyone would want a chestnut in their yard. In Va where I'm from whole blocks would stink with that unholy stench. If they don't stink they drop huge super sharp spiked balls all over the yard you need gloves to pick up and god help you if you step on one. I agree with Newt to cut the sucker down.
They sure keep the neighbors kids out of the yard..

Old 06-29-06, 12:26 PM
The horse chestnut, a member of the buckeye family, is also known as the Fetid Buckeye because of its disagreeable odor. It does however make a great shade tree.

Old 06-29-06, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Hellrazor
They sure keep the neighbors kids out of the yard..
I bet lol. Course I have never picked one up carefully and threw it to a buddy saying "catch" :mask:

Old 06-29-06, 09:49 PM
Perhaps a female Ginko? Big beautiful trees that drop "fruit" that smell terrible. If that is the case, no getting rid of the smell without getting rid of the tree.

Old 06-29-06, 10:06 PM
Hi Jjgjr,

I thought of the female Ginko too, but the fruit ripens in the fall.

Newt

Old 06-30-06, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by jjgjr
Perhaps a female Ginko? Big beautiful trees that drop "fruit" that smell terrible. If that is the case, no getting rid of the smell without getting rid of the tree.
At this point, Im pretty sure Ive identified the tree to be a Chinese or Japanese Chesnut. Whatever the case, I dont give a sh*t what it is, its coming down. My neighbor actually said something to me yesterday about a smell he couldnt identify. I said, "Dont worry, you wont smell it anymore soon enough"

I have a brand new Husky Rancher, and a climbing saw Ive been waiting to fire up. Tree has like 5 leaders, all fairly small. It will be on the ground in 20 minutes.....

Old 06-30-06, 04:19 AM
Maybe you could make a nice table and a campfire this fall. Good luck.

Old 06-30-06, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by mattison
Maybe you could make a nice table and a campfire this fall. Good luck.
Either way, I will find great pleasure in buning this SOB!!