removing lots of small pine tree stumps

Old 07-24-06, 08:15 AM
D
doc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing lots of small pine tree stumps

I have a rather unique problem --

we have bought 7 acres land of a former christmas tree farm. As you may guess, there are many dozens of stumps left in the ground.

Some of them are rotten enough to push out with the front end loader of our utility tractor; others are still pretty firm.

For the firm ones, I could simply cut them off at ground level, but that may muck up later landscaping work, so I'm looking for a way to get the stumps out of the ground.

The tractor has a rear PTO -- is there some kind of auger or grinder that I could attach to the tractor?

Other creative ideas? dynamite???

doc

Old 07-24-06, 08:20 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could rent a stump grinder, but these are usually preferred for large stumps. Smaller stumps can be removed by digging a trench around the stump to expose the roots. A very sharp landscape bar can be used to cut through roots and to lift out stump. An axe can be used to cut roots and a large pry bar used to lift out stump. A stump grinder would likely make work less back breaking and time consuming.

Old 07-26-06, 12:02 AM
G
Many dozens of stumps? How many is many?

Seven acres is quite a large area. If your stump proplem is on a grand scale it may be cost effective for you to hire someone with a small dozer which could rip those small stumps out in short order.

It would probably be costly per hour but a good operator could get alot done in a couple of hours.

If you are dealing with a large number of stumps digging them out individually would likely take a long time and require alot of effort.

Best of luck with your project, 38 years in the business and still learning... Greensboro_man

Old 07-26-06, 09:33 AM
D
doc
Yeah, I considered doing it by hand. My wife thinks I'm nuts.

When they break ground on the house, I may ask them how much they'd take for doing the stumps -- all the equipment will be there anyway.

One other thought -- what about a post-hole digger attachment for my Kutoba? Would that grind them up or would they grind the digger up?

doc

Old 07-26-06, 10:47 AM
G
Post hole digger?

I have not used a post hole digger for that purpose but thinking it through I don't believe it would work very well. If you're already going to have heavy equipment on site that would be the perfect time to get the stumps dealt with.

I imagine that at the base of each of the many stumps you have a small elevation of the soil. Using that heavy equipment to remove the stumps would deal with that issue also. You could then get a nice grade for seeding.

By the way we have used Kubota tractors for many years and have found them to be very good, super dependable machines.

Best of luck with your project...Greensboro_man

Old 07-27-06, 12:43 PM
D
doc
thanks, 'man.

yeah, in the interim others have told me the digger idea wouldn't work. Oh, well.

I'm even more convinced now that the thing to do is hire the excavators to do the job, especially since it will help out with seeding grass.

By the way, thanks for the endorsement on the Kubota. I agonized over Kubota vs. Deere. Went through some buyer's remorse since even though our machine is great so far. Has dont just about anything I've asked it to do, including pulling fence posts, mowing thick/tall grass and some relatively minor grading work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: