Suggestion for edging material: wood?

Old 07-27-06, 09:36 AM
Suggestion for edging material: wood?

We are in the process of outlining the beds in our lawn and are trying to find a good edging material. We live in sort of a country style home, so we naturally were thinking about some sort of wood edging as it gives us the "old-country" look that we already have going on. The problem with this is that our beds will have smooth curves in them that could be hard to outline with wood.

One thought I had was to use the same type of wood used to "frame" a driveway or sidewalk. It would obviously have to be treated before hand if we wanted it to last, but it would easily allow for smooth curves.

We also just thought about digging a trench between the beds and the grass and just maintaining the trench, but we live in red clay and don't like the look of it or the fact that our dog will run through it when it rains and track it into the house.

I'm not sure of the exact amount of edging needed, but we have a lot of beds so cost effectiveness is a big point to consider. We have one bed that is well over 200 square feet.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-06, 12:13 PM
Wood bed edging???

There are a number of pre made wood bed edging materials that are vertically orentied that would enable you to outline your free flowing beds.

But personally I prefer the method you mentioned in your third paragraph. Living in the middle of Noth Carolina as I do I'm utterly familiar with red clay soil.

Properly done the trench system would have practially no soil exposure. We cut the outer perimeter of the beds with a regular round point digging shovel (digging to a depth of 6 to 8 inches) being careful to maintain smooth flowing lines. Since you are dealing with existing beds I would put what you dig up in a wheelbarrow and use that soil somewhere else.

After you're satisfied with your bed shapes go back with a square point shovel and trim away the flutting effect digging with the round point shovel leaves.

Now either re-mulch your beds or at least add mulch to the ares you've been working on bringing it up near the existing turf level. This will leave you an edge maintainable with a weed eater (with its' head used in a vertical position) or our preferred method of occassional, VERY CLOSE to the ground, spray applications of round up. When we do this we only spray the grass that is encroaching into the bed area.

This method needless to say would be the most cost effective and in my view the most practical in the long run.

Best of luck with your project, 38 years in the business and still learning...Greensboro_man

Old 07-27-06, 11:09 PM
I agree with Greensboro Man. It's the way I edge my beds. I think the wood you are referring to is bender board and it would need to be replaced from time to time as it's not very thick. There is metal edging as well. Here's pics of Greensboro Man's technique. Scroll down to 'Dropped lawn edge'.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_design_p...398447,00.html

Newt

Old 07-28-06, 06:04 PM
I just did one of my small beds that way, and it's a lot of work to do it that way. It is especially hard to do it here because the clay in my lawn is like concrete at about 3 inches deep. It looks ok, but it just doesn't look as nice as I would like.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow when I get out into the yard.

Old 07-28-06, 08:35 PM
Dry clay= bricks

Dry, hard clay can be very difficult to dig. If you will throughly soak the area with a sprinkler, wait a day then you will be amazed at how much easier the clay soil will be to dig.

As an alternative bed edging consider natural stone. They're available in many shapes and sizes. It's easy to outline a bed of most any shape and they are perfectly at home with your country style home.

Best of luck... Greensboro_man

Old 07-31-06, 09:13 PM
I still want to give the bender board option a try, but I'm having a hard time finding it. Where can I get it? I've been to Home Depot and Lowes, but neither have "bender board." The guy at Home Depot told me most people use 16 foot 1x4's, but I checked those out and I could barely bend them at all. Any idea where I can find the wood used as bender board, and how thick is bender board?

Old 08-01-06, 01:18 AM
Most bender board is 5/16" thick, sometimes as much as 7/16". It comes on a roll and can be hard to find. There are also polymers that are used today that are made from recycled materials. Personally I would use the professional metal or the polymer. You may have to do a google with terms like:
bender board + landscape
bender board + garden

Here's some helpful info.
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lw_lan...269897,00.html
http://www.fibertechpolymers.com/benderboard.php#top

Newt

Old 08-01-06, 06:06 AM
Newt: Thanks for the reply. At least now I know it comes in rolls so I know more what I'm looking for. I may try a few lumber yards around here to see if they have it. I was going to give HD and Lowes a shot because I'm not completely sure I want to use it yet, so I was just going to get a small amount and see how it looked.

Old 08-10-06, 09:26 PM
I don't know where you are located, but in my area prunings of red cedar, the bark peeled off, make handsome, gently curving edgings. Available free since many neighbours have these trees excessively shading the yard or leaning on the power lines.

I rip a kerf along what will be the bottom of the limb - this controls checking as the wood dries.