Tree pruner advice

Old 08-07-06, 08:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tree pruner advice

I just got an 8 foot tree pruner from ace hardware.Wood handle that comes apart into two 4 foot sections.Screwed together by 2 metal plates on each side of the handle.The rope is poly(plastic rope).How good is this how long should it last.The pruner cost me $31 with shipping.

Last edited by lexmarks567; 08-07-06 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-06, 12:42 PM
Check your warranty. Availability of replacement parts may be a consideration. Wood poles may break. Stress at the point where poles screw together may also pose a weak point. Of course, how well you care for the pole pruner and how much of a work out you plan on giving it will determine how long it will last. If you are planning on pruning an occasional limb of less than 1" in diameter, the pole pruner should serve you well. If you are planning on pruning an orchard, a more durable pole pruner might be preferred. Steel handles offer greater strength and leverage.

Old 08-08-06, 10:39 AM
Pole pruner selection

Originally Posted by lexmarks567
I just got an 8 foot tree pruner from ace hardware.Wood handle that comes apart into two 4 foot sections.Screwed together by 2 metal plates on each side of the handle.The rope is poly(plastic rope).How good is this how long should it last.The pruner cost me $31 with shipping.
Having used pole pruners for a long time my personal preference is the fiberglass telescoping pole model. It offers a great many options regarding length and certainly is capable of reaching much higher than the unit you describe. Its' durability is excellent.

But this adjustability has its' best benefit in allowing me to find the best balance point when cutting at various hieghts. Since you can easily adjust the poles' length with the twist of its' locking ring you can find the best balance point quickly.

There are options as to leverage ratios, some use more pullys to cut with less effort but the price you pay is a longer rope pull per cut. The less leverage models cut smaller limbs quicker.

I much prefer models with the cast alloy cutting heads rather than the flat steel units. "Corona" is a brand I've had good service from. That's the brand name of the cutting head not necessarily the whole devise.

Best of luck with your pruning...38 years in the business and still learning, Greensboro_man