Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

One dead birch trunk on multi-trunk tree: what to do?

Old 08-20-06, 03:58 PM
kdkrone
Visiting Guest

We lost one trunk of three on a multi-trunk birch tree. The portion of the stump that protrudes above ground about one foot is hollow and goes down at least 18". It is still soft in the center at that depth when I stopped scooping out the dead wood.

What should be done to protect the rest of the tree. Fill the dead stump with a couple of gallons of something and seal it off with asphalt? break off the periphery of the remaining trunk that is still hard wood until I get to the roots? I certainly would like to preserve the rest of the tree.

Thanks
Ken K

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-06, 04:34 PM
Not a pro, but the only thing I can find is this if it has been affected by bronze birch borers. This should help you identify if it is or not and also if it is, it tells you what you can do.

http://www.gardenline.usask.ca/pests/bronze.html

Old 08-21-06, 05:14 PM
A consultation with an arborist is recommended, especially if the tree is key to your landscape. It is not known if the decay extends into the remainder of the tree's multi-trunk system or roots.