weed problem

Old 08-27-06, 08:45 AM
weed problem

hello there!

I let the weed grow quite a bit in our house. Now, we got a landscaper to get the weed out and mulch the garden. I have few questions:
1) is this a good time to weed out and mulch - i live in northeast. Its fall weather now and snow will be in 3 months, so should i wait till march-april?.
2) the lanscaper says that even if he mulches the garden, the weeds will still keep coming. Is it true? isn't the purpose of mulch to prevent weeds? how can i prevent weeds growing?

anyother tips/suggestion for a very low maintenence gardening? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-06, 08:29 PM
Hi Sethuvs,

1. Now is a great time before any more weed seeds spread.

2. Yes, it's true. Mulch will help prevent weeds, but there is no magic bullet.

The best way to prevent the SPREAD of weeds is to spend 15 minutes or so a week and pull them when they are small before they mature and spread their seeds. The only way I know of to be weed free is to have concrete.

Newt

Old 08-29-06, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
I think Newt was optimistic in her reply, weeds will even grow eventually in conrete. There is no way to keep them out, just pull them as soon as you see them. If you let them grow even a couple days, the root structure can grow tremendously and make pulling much more difficult.

Old 09-07-06, 12:12 PM
you could try a low growing groundcover if there's space.

Old 09-07-06, 03:11 PM
The Beat has the best idea; the best way to keep weeds out is to have something else growing there. Go to Stepables.com and OutsidePride.com, and check out some groundcovers.

Mulch keeps weed seeds from finding a nice place to germinate. Your most recent weeds have probably gone to seed already; those seeds have fallen into your soil and will sprout. You will have to weed them next Spring.

What you could do lay down black landscape cloth until next June or July [a lot of the more pernicious weeds sprout early in the season], and then mulch or seed with/plant groundcover. Or you could use a pre-emergent hericide, but I don't use them, so I can't advise.

Old 09-30-06, 08:33 PM
For problem weed areas that are mulched only try ACTIVELY using round up spray. It is less back breaking then hand weeding, which tends to help the homeowner remain more persistent in weed control. Most important, don't let any weeds go to seed, a really bad weed problem can easily take a year of agressive control to eliminate all future weeds that will spring from the existing seeds. Good luck! It's really too bad that crab grass and thistle aren't desirable, we'd all have fantastic lawns and beds!

Old 10-01-06, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by oldscaper
It's really too bad that crab grass and thistle aren't desirable, we'd all have fantastic lawns and beds!
I've often wondered why we can't be happy with the things that grow well in the first place.

Old 10-04-06, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17
I've often wondered why we can't be happy with the things that grow well in the first place.
You would wonder no more if you had the demonic 'goat heads' (puncture vine) dominating your landscape!

Old 10-15-06, 11:55 AM
weeds

You can lay newspaper down real thick, like an entire section or two, overlapping each section over the area of weeds. Then you can mulch right over top of it. The newspaper will kill the weeds, still allow moisture through and will break down over time, improving your soil. It will also help attract those wonderful WORMS.