Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

How to control 'Unmanageable and Vigorous and too tall 'Climbing Ivy'

How to control 'Unmanageable and Vigorous and too tall 'Climbing Ivy'

Old 09-14-06, 08:43 PM
Angry How to control 'Unmanageable and Vigorous and too tall 'Climbing Ivy'

Hi:
When the 'climing ivy' were planted years ago, it was quite nice to have around the backyard fences. However, recently those 'climing ivy' started to move on every inches of fences. Literally, they are no longer pretty sight due to its abundance and unsightly growth over the fences.

I cut and trimmed Ivy-leaves by using trimmer and pruner, however it's too much for me to control a growth of climing-ivy all over top of the fences.

Any good solution and idea on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-06, 03:34 PM
Hi Pine Cone,

I'm guessing that this is an evergreen ivy with it's clinging 'feet'. I found that complete removal and replacing with something easier to maintain that has a mature height that works with the fence it's planted on works best for most people. Been there...

Newt

Old 09-16-06, 05:48 AM
Wink

Hi Newt:
Thanks for your response.

Yes, it is evergreen ivy with it's clinging 'feet,' although I never thought about a name of this type of Ivy.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it is not pretty to see everyday those over-abundant Ivy with tiny feets clinging every inches of fences. However, it's also tough to think about elimination and removal all of those Ivy, because they also giving us 'privacy' and somehow 'not' really ugly, particulary during cold-seasons. Only during growing-seasons, from July to August is not nice to see.

Is there any liquid to stunt/discourage a growth of those ivy?

Or, should I visit some 'plant shops' to ask about it?

Thanks,

Old 09-16-06, 01:45 PM
You are very welcome! I don't know of anything that will stunt the growth or slow it down without killing it or weakening it that would allow for disease or pest invasion.

Newt

Old 09-30-06, 08:17 PM
During the heavy growing season, don't be afraid to use a weed wacker or power bush trimmer to trim ivy to shape. I have a contract that when mowing the grass part of the maintetance is trimming the ivy along sidewalks with the string trimmer(weed wacker). I literally hack into it, blow it off and it always looks lush and shaped.

Old 06-25-09, 02:32 PM
Angry Help??

I too have a problem with climbing ivy. I let it grow up on part of my vinyl siding and concrete block foundation . Thought it was pretty but i let it go too long and now i have pulled it down. What can i use to clean off the little "brown feet" that it left??