How much rock for small backyard?

Old 10-10-06, 02:38 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How much rock for small backyard?

I'm planning on laying down 3/4 inch navajo brown rock in approximately 480 square feet of my backyard, which is pretty much the whole backyard of my small patio home. I'm getting it from the Home Depot bulk program, and according to the calculations I'm supposed to use, I'd need 4 tons for 2 inch coverage and 6 tons for 3 inch coverage.

since there is a price break per ton for 5 or more tons, 4 or 6 comes out to the same amount. Is 3 inch coverage significantly better than 2? It's the same price, but more work for me to spread around. Also, does anyone know how big a pile this will make when they deliver? My HOA is kinda anal, and I'd want it to all fit on my driveway, 2 car garage wide, not sure on length, but a bit longer than my full size ford truck.

Also, any hints on the ground prep are appreciated. It's just dirt now and full of weeds, which I've trimmed down and been spraying with roundup in anticipation for this. Do I need to do more?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-06, 01:20 PM
D
I can make a few suggestions:

Use some landscape fabric for underneath the rocks.

I would assume they are going to deliver the rocks still in their bags pilled up on top of each other w/those wood crate things on the bottom(forgot what they're called). It should fit on your driveway (you can definitely ask them). I would check with the HOA on specifics as well as I have found many HOA's are very strict even if an item is on the property itself. You may not want to run into having to move all the rocks in 1 day if they tell you later to move it or you'll be fined.

If 4 or 6 tons comes out to be the same price. Go with 6. Why not? I personally don't know the significance but I think it would be better. Just my own opinion. I think the tough part is actually getting it "to" your backyard...depending on where it's located from your driveway. Spreading shouldn't be too tough. I've done it myself and absolutely hated the transfer since those rocks are really heavy (even just 1 bag!) and enjoyed the spread part.

Also, for the fun part...take a before and after photo. It'll make you feel great.

Old 10-11-06, 04:04 PM
L
Thanks for the tip on the fabric, I'll do a bit of researching on that.

My gut is telling me the rock won't be in bags, but just piled on my driveway in big pile. I'd prefer bags on pallets, but who knows.

Yeah, the transfer is going to be a bear, since the path between the 2 houses is narrow. 6 tons is 50% more work than 4, so I'm hoping I can get away with 4.

I'll call the delivery people and my hoa for the rest of the info.

Thanks.

Old 10-11-06, 04:23 PM
D
That's what it's called! "Pallets"

Yeah...I didn't think about how they would just come by in a truck and dump it on the driveway. You're right...that's why it would be cheaper too.

The landscape fabric is for weed control. Here's some info:

http://landscaping.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.efn.org/%7Eipmpa/fabric.html

I'm sure the path will have room for a wheel barrow? If so, make sure you have an air pump handy if you have a wheel barrow and know how to get air in there as apparently some aren't as easy? Dunno. I used a wheel barrow and either it had a flat or all the weight couldn't take. Not sure. But I did succeed in getting air in it. Get some shovels and friends/family...as I'm sure they will help!