Killing Roots

Old 11-23-06, 06:26 PM
Killing Roots

I live in Minnesota where we have a brushy tree called buck-thorn. I want to get rid of as much of it as possible. When you cut it down it comes back ten times thicker from the stump. What can a ordinary citizen buy to put on the fresh cut stump to kill the roots? And is there a better time of the year to cut the tree to kill the roots? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-06, 07:29 PM
I've used a mix of diesel and used motor oil to kill mesquite roots.
It's probably not "environmentally correct" though nowadays.

I've also "grubbed" up a lot of mesquite stumps and roots. Hard work but no pollution.

Old 11-23-06, 11:11 PM
tree

copper sulfate & salt

Old 11-24-06, 08:22 AM
With no disrespect to Planter and Hawkins, both suggestions are toxic to the environment. Here's how to help the stumps decompose organically. There will probably sprouts for a couple of years, but over time they will die off.
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=50

This can be done at any time of year, but is best done when plants are in active growth such as spring and summer.

Newt

Old 11-24-06, 04:57 PM
The buck-thorn I want to get rid of is probably a hundred or more trees, it grows real thick and fast and chokes out anything below it. It is not a nice tree.There has to be a product available on the market that will kill stumps and the roots. I have seen tree removable companies that will cut a stump a little above the ground, then paint the stump with something. I have seen stumps that are a light shade of blue and they do not sprout any new growth. These are stumps that will normally sprout new growth in a week of being cut. These are companies that clear for the power lines. They work during the day and so do I, so I do not see them. The stuff they use might not be available to the general public, I have heard some stuff isn't. Some stuff requires a trained professional to wield a paint brush to apply the chemical. Thanks for the ideas.

Old 11-25-06, 01:15 PM
Jerome, if it's blue then it probably has copper in it. The link I gave you for environmentally friendly ways will work too. I've done it with a locust tree which can send up sprouts for 3 or 4 years.

Newt

Old 11-26-06, 03:27 AM
Thanks Newt, I will give it a try. The stumps I have are 4 inches and smaller and lots of them.

Old 11-26-06, 04:06 PM
You are so very welcome! I went to the Wisconsin DNR site and they use some pretty toxic chemicals. Consider digging some of the smaller ones out as well.
http://www.freeplants.com/tree-stump-removal-instructions.htm

Good luck and lift with your knees!
Newt