Leak under driveway

Old 11-17-06, 06:51 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leak under driveway

Hey all, new here and I got a problem.

I have a concrete driveway. An irrigation line runs under it made of flexible black plastic piping about 5/8" diameter. A couple of years ago I hired out the widening of my driveway. At that time there was a connection made at the edge of the existing driveway, which is now 7' under a 22 wide concrete driveway. That connection is leaking, BAD!

What are my options? I was thinking I could use PVC pipe and by running water through it as I went I could use it to bore a hole under the driveway from both ends. I could then make a piece long enough to do the job and with water running, get it under the driveway all the way from side to side. Am I pipe dreaming here?

I CAN'T afford another (unqualified) contractor. I DO NOT want to cut up or replace my driveway. I DO want to strangle the idiot who made the lousy connection under my driveway.

Old 11-18-06, 10:12 AM
C
"I could use PVC pipe and by running water through it as I went I could use it to bore a hole under the driveway from both ends."

It will work.

Old 11-20-06, 10:46 AM
G
gsr
Conduit...

Never tried the hose in a pipe method but that is what they did on a DIY show once but it was only across a sidewalk so it went quickly. Not sure how long it will take to get across the driveway - depends on your soil and any unknown obstacles buried under it.

My one recommendation - put in a pipe with an inside diameter that is bigger than the outside diameter of the pipe you need for the irrigation and use it as a conduit for the irrigation pipe. That way if you do have problems in the future it will be easier to remove the pipe and replace it. You also won't have to worry about it being knicked or gouged as you push it under the driveway.

Old 12-13-06, 11:10 AM
P
I used to work at a rental shop, and we had a neat little tool that was the high-tech version of the PVC pipe. I can't remember what it was called, but man, did it ever do the trick. I think it rented for around 70 or 80 bucks. If the PVC thing doesn't work out, check out a rental shop, they'll know what its called...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: