Irrigation controller/timer question

Old 01-05-07, 09:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Irrigation controller/timer question

I'm trying to come up with a modest solution to semi-automate my vegetable and flower garden watering chores (dragging a hose and filling buckets gets old) this coming season. My problem is that I have two "zones" way over at one side of my property close to one faucet, with the other two quite close to my shop (where I'd intended putting the controller,) where there's another faucet. The way I see it, I have two choices, either run about 100 extra feet of pipe from a four outlet manifold to those two, or run about 100 feet of wire to the valves from the controller. Or, okay, *three* choices; split it up into two separate units which of course would be a doubling in price requiring two timer/controller units. I'm iffy on if it's advisable to run the low-voltage wiring that far to the valves. Which is the best solution for my dilemma?

Sounds like a word problem, doesn't it ?

Oh, yes, I'm not intending to have this "hard plumbed" (if there is such a phrase,) into my water supply, but to have the manifold(s) right close to the outlets and supplied from the faucet(s). These are for low-pressure drip irrigation systems so pressure should not be much of an issue if any (although I seem to have plenty) and I have already tested flow at, if I remember correctly, 7GPM.

Old 01-05-07, 11:05 AM
K
if i understand your plan, why not just get a battery operated timer that will screw on the hose bib and put your hose to the bubblers on it?

Old 01-05-07, 02:30 PM
Because I'm not putting it on a hose. I've been that route, and while it works, it's still work, if you get my drift. I'd have to drag about 100-150' of hose around between the different "outlets" several times a week, roll up to get the hose out of the way of the lawnmower at least every week or ten days. It doesn't sound much. Until you've done it. I'm almost 50, that hose seems to be getting heavier. I'm going to run PVC underground to the various gardens with drip irrigation fittings taking care of the actual watering. It's only these several options for the business end as it were that have me scratching my head.

Old 01-05-07, 07:52 PM
S
I think if you put the wiring in some smaller diameter pvc and run it along the same route you would be ok. Just make sure it is one continuous wire so it doesn't become disconnected inside the pvc somewhere.

Old 01-06-07, 04:26 PM
Okay, I think I *finally* found an answer to one of my major concerns re: the wiring, on the website of a popular brand of homeowner DIY and/or contractor installed irrigation systems:

"Use 18 gauge wire to connect the wires to the controller. Wiring that is to be buried alongside the pipes should be approved for underground use. For all splices use water tight connectors. (Do not exceed 600 ft.)"

Heck, at 600 feet max I should be fine.

Thank you for your help and ideas anyway however .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: