Leaky Sprinkler System......

Old 03-01-07, 08:02 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky Sprinkler System......

I have a single station (I believe that is the correct description) Rain Bird automatic sprinkler system with 3 heads connected to it.

The system had a slow leak from one of the heads even when the unit was not running and two of the sprinkler heads were not reciprocating while the system was in use (back and forth sprinkler action had failed).....

I replaced the two non-reciprocating heads (they are the kind that are self-contained in a housing and the 1/2 inch PVC screws into the bottom of the sprinkler housing.) That fixed the reciprocating problem, but........

When the system is in the off position, water still appears to pool around one of the new sprinkler heads.

Is it a problem with the PVC pipe where it connects to the head? Do I look to make a repair there? Or is it the station itself that has an internal leak, causing water to drip into the system at a slow trickle, even when it is shut off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 03-04-07, 04:25 AM
You should have a valved somewhere before the sprinkler heads. You said that the one head leaks even when the system is off. Do you mean that if you left the system off for a weak, you would still find water pooling around this one head? If so, then you either have a small valve (has to be small so that even when leaking, not enough water to pop up heads) or you have a leak in a (supply) pipe around this area.

If the water only appears after the system runs, is this sprinkler head the lowest one? Then all that is happening is all the water within the piping is draining out this head (since it is the lowest one). Some sprinkler heads have built in "drain valves" to keep this from happening. I am sure you could also buy some "anti drain valves" and install in line as well. If this is the case, I am not sure it it worth the trouble doing

Old 03-04-07, 09:32 AM
J
Leaky Sprinkler System..........

"You should have a valve somewhere before the sprinkler heads. "

** The water main pipe feeds from the house into the Rain Bird system (which includes the wiring feeding back to the timer), and out of the system into a single 1/2 inch valve which then branches off to feed the 3 sprinkler heads...........

"You said that the one head leaks even when the system is off. Do you mean that if you left the system off for a weak, you would still find water pooling around this one head? "

** It has been shut off now for 5 days, and it is still leaking........

"If so, then you either have a small valve (has to be small so that even when leaking, not enough water to pop up heads) or you have a leak in a (supply) pipe around this area."

** There is no supply pipe in the area.......

"If the water only appears after the system runs, is this sprinkler head the lowest one?"

** It is the lowest pipe................

"Then all that is happening is all the water within the piping is draining out this head (since it is the lowest one). Some sprinkler heads have built in "drain valves" to keep this from happening. I am sure you could also buy some "anti drain valves" and install in line as well. If this is the case, I am not sure it it worth the trouble doing."

** I am thinking it may be best to just replace the whole unit where it connects to the main water pipe. I can only assume there must be an internal seal failing inside of the unit that is causing water to drip into the system even when it is shut off. 5 days of water pooling in my lawn/sidewalk isn't a good thing.............

Old 03-04-07, 11:46 PM
J
Leaky Sprinkler System.......

As a follow-up for those who may be curious or those who may encounter the same problem:

I replaced the sprinkler valve that connected to the water supply line with a new unit. Inside of there is a diaphram that stops water from flowing into the sprinkler system when it is shut off.

Apparently my diaphram had worn just enough to allow water to trickle into the sprinkler system, and it ran to the lowest head, causing the constant pooling of water.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I have learned with home projects that the best option, in some cases, is trial and error.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: