Support timber retaining wall

Old 03-25-07, 09:58 AM

Hi!

I built a timber retaining wall and have been told I should have used "dead men" as support. I understand the term and have seen how you use buried timbers with an anchor attached perpendicular to the wall. Any other ideas of support other than this method? The wall is 3' tall.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-07, 03:20 PM

There is not much you can do to improve a tmber wall in place unless you are willing to dig out the backfill.

Is the wall moving already?

Dick

Old 03-25-07, 05:03 PM
Hi!

One section is leaning a bit and then there is an issue with the City that says it needs to be supported better than steel stakes pounded into the ground in front of the wall. I know I would have to remove some backfill to put in place deadmen. Was wondering if there was another technique that did not require removing the backfill. The wall is 3' tall and 79' long in 8' sections attached to each other at the top.

Thank you.

Old 03-26-07, 03:22 PM
It sounds like men are the only way. Some times you can get away with it but it's not recommended. While you are digging out behind the walls, you might want to lay some drainage pipe with gravel along the base of the wall along with your deadman, if you haven't don't already

Old 03-26-07, 04:55 PM
Thank you.