Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

New dirt around house muddy . . . will it ever pack down?

Old 04-12-07, 01:20 PM

I put some dirt around the foundation of our house to help with draining and standing water issues. It's been down for about three weeks, new grass has been planted with a little starting to grow. My question is, after a rain last nite, it's like a mud bog in some places . . . will this ever pack down or do i need to remove the dirt? Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-07, 04:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you have gutters? Are the down spouts piped away from the foundation?

Old 04-13-07, 07:55 AM
Yes, we have gutters. . .

we have gutters with those black tubes hooked up that lead the water away from the foundation. over the last 18 years some of the soil had worn away, i suppose, and several people told me the soil should slope away from the house (ours was level in some spots and around back was a "hole" where water would pool when it rained. so I built dirt up and now when it rained, if you step on it, you sink!

Old 04-20-07, 12:40 PM
Hi Charlotte Ann,

It sounds like water is still moving to those areas that are wet and soggy. The grade of the soil needs to not only run away from the house but be such that it doesn't channel water to low spots. Try using a 4' level horizontal to the foundation to see if the grade is level against the foundation. Don't pack the soil down when it's wet as you'll remove the oxygen and make hard mud.

Newt