Chain saw stuck in tree

Old 04-24-07, 06:57 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Chain saw stuck in tree

Hello,

Last night I was trying to cut down a maple tree that is too close to my chain link fence. The tree is about 30' tall but only 5-6 inches in diameter and largely covered in English Ivy (evil stuff) so it doesn't have many branches. I followed the instructions here (http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/skills/b-p/felling_tree.htm) , I cut out the wedge perfectly but when I got a couple inches into the tree on the back cut the tree leaned back and trapped the chainsaw. Now I have a tree with a wedge cut out, a chainsaw blade trapped and about an inch of wood plus a few nearby branches holding it up. Can anyone recommend a way to safely fell this tree in the direction I wish it to go, not the opposite? I can let it drop into the neighbor's yard and cut, remove it from there if necessary. I did throw a heavy rope around a lower branch and secured it to a fence and another tree just to be safe, but I think it'll take hurricane force winds to snap it right now.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-24-07, 07:12 AM
S
First get a helper to pull the rope in the direction that you want the tree to fall...

Next, get another chainsaw from a neighbor or friend and try again about 6 inches higher. After the tree falls, you should be able to wiggle chainsaw 1 out and continue that cut.

Old 04-24-07, 07:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I agree, it would be awfully hard to remove your saw without the aid of another saw. Most every time I've pinched a saw like that it took another cut to get it out.

Old 04-24-07, 07:35 AM
L
Ok, thanks for the advice, since the cut is already above a 4 foot fence it's going to feel like quite a reach to make the second cuts but it's an easy enough fix.

What do you all think might have caused the tree to lean back away from the wedge? I'd like to prevent it from occurring a second time and getting 2 blades caught.

Thanks again

Old 04-24-07, 08:12 AM
S
without seeing a picture of the tree and the stuck saw, it's hard to guess.

A few things could have happened:

1. You're wedge may have been off or not big enough

2. A strong breeze could have blew the top of the tree that way which would be easy to do if you didn't have someone pulling it in the direction you wanted it to fall

3. The top of the tree may bow or curve and the weight caused it to lean back.

You do have someone pulling it in the direction you want it to fall, right?

Old 04-24-07, 08:41 AM
L
I'm sorry but I don't have any pictures. I didn't have anyone pulling the tree either (afraid of pulling it down onto someone).

Now that the ropes are in place I guess that would be easy to do. I hope the rope is high enough.

Thanks for you input.

Old 04-24-07, 09:24 AM
S
The higher the better, but the rope doesn't have to be that high up for you to be able to direct where the tree falls.

Don't worry, there will be plenty of time for the person to get out of the way. If anything I think the person sawing would be more likely to get struck by the tree kicking back then by the rope handler getting smooshed!

Old 04-24-07, 10:34 AM
L
But I'm the saw handler!!! LOL, thanks for your advice and input. I appreciate it very much.

Old 04-25-07, 05:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
I am doing some major clearing in the forest behind our house... after a full day at work and then three hours in the woods... just one more cut and then I'll call it quits... Ooops... I wedged the saw better than I've done in years.

I got the tractor down to help but because of the other trees I could not get into position so I ended up taking the saw apart and left the chain hanging in the branch. Got a good nights sleep and put a sharp chain in the saw and retrieved the other chain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: