More Fertilizer?

Old 05-07-07, 04:25 AM
More Fertilizer?

My lawn was a mess. The building contractor scraped all the topsoil, and sold it. Then he used the leftover foundation clay as topsoil and spread it around. Needless to say, the soil wouldn't support an earthworm!

So I bought a tiller, added gypsum, lime and 12-12-12 fertilizer, tilled some more, added some starter fertilizer, tilled some more, added 14 yards of topsoil, some premium, some local (probably need more lime), and K-31 grass seed.

Lots of water later, and green is sprouting through the topsoil.

Here's my question, should I add some starter fertilizer on top, or just let it try to grow?

Tom C

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-07, 08:11 AM
A soil test will tell you what amendments your soil needs and eliminates the guess work. Your local Cooperative Extension Agent can help you with soil test info and provide you with a lawn maintenance schedule for your area.

Old 05-07-07, 08:18 AM
Thanks, had a soil test, and sent it to Va Tech. They sent back results which i carried to a landscaper, who recommended lime...twice a month for 5 years (this is true).

I was thinking that all the stuff I've added in the past month would skew another test so soon after adding it to the soil, and thought the sight of green on top would be sufficient indication whether fertilizer on top was warranted.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-07-07, 08:45 AM
Lime twice a month for 5 years! That's some acidic soil! Hope you still have the soil test so you can take it to your local Cooperative Extension Agent for a second opinion.

If you have new grass coming up, you can fertilize after the 3rd mowing. Problem is that you do not want to fertilize fescue in the summer. Fescue tends to decline in summer heat. Fertilizing in summer puts extra stress on roots and can cause grass to get a fungus.

Thus, it's important to overseed your fescue annually to take care of areas that fail due to heat and drought. Fertilizer is best applied in February or early March and in October. A slow release fertilizer can be applied in May.

Old 05-07-07, 12:14 PM
Thanks. That's exactly the good sense answer I expected, but couldn't trust to develop on my own. By the way, i did say the ground wouldn't even support a worm.

Tom

Old 05-07-07, 12:55 PM
Do you recall what the soil test showed your pH level to be? After all you've done to the lawn, I'd get a new soil test done. How many inches of top soil did you apply?