Apple Trees

Old 06-10-07, 07:15 AM
Apple Trees

I have 2 Apple trees in the yard, and both look like the west side of them are dying from the ground up 12" -14". The bark is gone and bare wood is showing. I'm not sure if it is from the mower and leaf trailer, or something else.The trees themselves appear very healthy. I'm worried if I don't do something, they might die off. Hope someone has an answer, and thanks for any replies.

The new guy,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-07, 11:51 AM
Damage to bark is a concern because it leaves an open wound for fungal diseases and wood boring insects. If disease enters the heart wood of the tree the tree will decay and show symptoms of decline. With luck, the trees will heal. Avoid additional damage to bark. You may need to trim the damaged bark so that wound is clean and will properly heal. Little can be done to save trees suffering from severe injury to the trunk.

Old 08-03-07, 08:32 AM
Do you have critters in your area? Groundhogs will gnaw at the base of trees- and deer will scrape them with antlers.

Another thing to look at- if you have mulch at the base of them, pull it away - Mulch that is right up against the bark invites boring insects to kill your trunks- so keep that in mind.

Good luck-

Old 08-08-07, 11:07 AM
Rabbits are particularly fond of apple trees. Here's an article that provides some control measures. http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/WL47.pdf

Old 10-07-07, 08:10 AM
All the damage is visable only on the west side. I was wrong on the height of the damage. It reachesabout 24" off the ground. I doesn't look like an animal has done the damage. I almost looks like it is just decaying on that side.

Old 10-07-07, 08:44 AM
Decay is likely due to old trauma. Fruit trees tend to have a short life span. Plant new apple trees now so you will have more apple trees to replace the old ones. Take care to properly prune to prevent damage and decay. Mulching around trees will keep mowers and weedeaters from damaging bark.