Irrigation system not coming on

Old 06-13-07, 01:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Irrigation system not coming on

Hello all!

I'm at my fathers home and he is having issues with his in ground irrigation system.

When I set the manual valve control on the panel to run all heads, nothing happens like it used too.

The main water supply for the system is on, but all the water is being blown out the top relief valve coming out of the house.

It seems as though the two water valves that send the water to the heads are either not coming on, or there is something else going on causing too much back pressure, thus the water coming out of the relief?

Where should I start? I see two wires going to each of the two valves in the ground, but not sure what voltage I should be looking for, and when to test it.

I've never worked on these systems before so I am at a loss. Any insight would be great!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-07, 01:23 PM
I would suspect debris in the relief valve, first. If it is clogged open, the water would escape there, preventing the rest of the system from working due to lack of water.

Old 06-13-07, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at it tomorrow to see if I can remove this valve and inspect.

Is it customary to have a relief valve? There never was one before, and about a year ago, my father had this put in for one reason or another.

Old 06-14-07, 05:27 AM
gsr
Valve

All the ones around here have relief valves. I'd focus on that. We had an early cold spell up here last year before a lot of people had their systems winterized. Sprinkler guy said he's been replacing a lot of them this spring because they are leaking like crazy.

Most like plugged or cracked.

Old 06-14-07, 07:59 AM
Think I found the issue. I removed the top hat thingy on the relief valve. I noticed under the spring thats there, there is a white plastic piece that is broken in half allowing water to bypass it.

This valve doesn't look easy to remove. The main water line comes out of the ground from the house, then branches off to the sprinkler system. There seems to be no way of just unscrewing this valve without cutting the one of the copper lines.

I'll let my father know that he may need to call a plumber.

Thanks for the help guys/gals.