Are my trees in trouble?

Old 06-21-07, 09:47 AM
Are my trees in trouble?

I planted 4 trees last year: 3 maples (Crimson King, Sunset and Red) and a tulip poplar. They are all between 8-12 feet in height. Not knowing any better I recently (within the last 3-4 weeks) piled a bunch of top soil around each to build the base up. I just came across some information inadvertently stating how this can kill the tree!! As soon as I get home today I'm going to remove all the top soil around the trunks and root bases. My question is, are my trees in trouble now? Or will they be ok since it's just been a few weeks?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-07, 05:14 AM
they should be ok. pull back the soil you placed and water well. you could lightly mulch if you want.

Old 06-22-07, 05:17 AM
thank you! I pulled it all away last night from the trunk and root base, watered and will be lightly mulching today! They look to be ok around the trunk and root base thankfully.

Old 06-23-07, 08:16 PM
Keep soil and mulch off bark. Mulch 2-3" and create well so moisture will run toward tree, but keep the mulch back a couple inches or so off the bark.

Old 06-25-07, 05:16 AM
thank you! This is exactly what I've done. Many new trees in the neighborhood have topsoil/mulch mounded around the trunks...will be bringing this information to the owners of these trees also to prevent future problems. Thanks again. This forum is great!