Willow Tree

Old 07-11-07, 06:41 AM
Willow Tree

I planted a 10 foot willow tree the spring and it died our do to a late hard freeze. But before I replaced it, it started growing again at the base of the tree. I let it go and it's about 4 feet tall now. But, it's not just a single branch that is growing, it's growing like a bush. How can I recover this tree to grow like a tree? Do I merely pick out one of the new branches and cut off the rest? I am worried that it won't grow straight since I had to cut off the larger part of the tree down to about 4 inches above ground. I would like to save this tree as it is growing like crazy now, but I don't want a willow bush. : )

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-07, 12:27 AM
Basically, yes you pretty much just pick the largest, most upright branch. If it isn't growing quite straight you can just drive a stake into the ground next to it and use some green gardening tape to tie it up (just like trees you see in a nursery container) and after a few months or a year it should be growing straight on its own. Sometimes, in order to get the branch to develop into something more like a tree, it helps to keep any side-branches that come out pinched back a little bit...just so everything becomes stronger.

If your climate is a little too cold for this type of willow you might be fighting for a lost cause here though. Even if the tree makes it through a couple of mild winters in one piece, one hard freeze will set you back to where you are now. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 07-17-07, 09:12 AM
I agree with hockey9918, however, you need to know that there is a good chance that the "new" tree's trunk will be vulnerable where it started growing. It theory it won't be as strong as "joint" comparable to the old trunk and may break later once the larger tree has strained it too much.

If you just bought it in the spring, I would suggest return it to where ever you bought it. Most garden centers and landscape companies have warranties on their plant material for a year. If yours is under warranty you will get a nice tree and not have to wait for the other to "grow back."

Old 08-08-07, 04:58 PM
Willows tend not to make for good landscape plants. They grow fast, have weakwood, litter the lawn. Willows are beautiful and romantic (willow weep for me), but they are better suited along streams and ponds.

Old 08-09-07, 03:40 PM
Smile Willow trees

Beauitful trees ....beside ponds! Hear they are bad to get into sewer lines or any line that has any water running through it.

Old 08-09-07, 04:06 PM
That's why they are best near ponds and streams. Their shallow roots are very invasive in their search for moisture. Thus, willows are not a good choice in the landscape where they will be near a homeowner or neighbor's structure.

Old 08-18-07, 01:45 PM
How do you kill a willow or get rid of it if you want to replant and start over?

Old 08-19-07, 03:34 PM
Cut it down, dig out as much of the stump/roots as possible and hope for the best!

Old 09-05-07, 11:20 AM
Drill a hole in a root about 6 inches deep and fill it with roundup. Tree (any tree) will be dead in a week.

Old 09-05-07, 04:15 PM
With no disrespect to Joe, poisoning a tree is not a good idea. Trees can become a hazard with they die and can fall in a storm. If you want to get rid of the tree, cut it down.

Newt