Myaporium Trees

Old 07-25-07, 03:18 PM
Question Myaporium Trees

About 1 1/2 to 2 yrs ago we had Myaproium trees planted for shade and privicy. We were told that it was an evergreen type tree which is what we wanted, and also told that it didn't bear any flowers or any fruit types. Well, last year it first started to bear tiny white flowers, which we thought was still ok, but, not too worry. Well, this year it again bore those tiny white flowers, but then started to bear tiny purplish berries, which we were told wouldn't happen.
My question is besides having to spray them with "Florel" growth regulator, is there any way other to stop this process? Another question would be if, that's not possible, is there an evergreen type of tree, that doesn't bear flowers or fruits? We are at a stand still until we can figure this out, since if we have to remove these four trees, we can't planet anything else til this issue is corrected. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-07, 01:26 PM
Myoporum laetum

If you have Myoporum you will have fruits and seeds. There are about 32 species. It is an invasive species due to its seeds. Growth regulators to prevent fruiting is not effective on all types of trees. Why not replace the tree with one that has the characteristics that you desire? Purchase from a reputable nursery that knows the characteristics of the species you desire.

Old 07-27-07, 10:28 AM
Thank you. we thought when we went to the nursery, and asked, that we would've gotten what we wanted. So, next step is to replace with a tree that doesn't bear fruit or flowers/seeds. May you have a suggestion, for an evergreen type of tree? We live in Northern Calif., a little west of Sacramento. Again, thanks for your reply, we didn't know that we were getting a problematic type of tree.

Old 08-16-07, 11:13 PM
Off the top of my head, I don't remember evergreen elms (Ulmus parvifolia) as producing fruit around here (I live in Napa). You will most likely find either the species or a cultivar called 'Drake' in nurseries. Keep in mind though, in order to reproduce plants have to produce a seed (fruit) in order to perpetuate themselves, so unless it is a product of a laboratory most trees will produce either a flower or a fruit. I can't think of any evergreen shade trees other than that elm that fit the bill of what you're looking for. Coast live oaks (Quercus agrifolia) do produce acorns, but as fruits/seeds/nuts go they are pretty innocuous.

Old 08-23-07, 02:13 PM
Ulmus parvifolia (Chinese Elm) is a deciduous tree, I believe. Quercus agrifolia (Coastal Live Oak) produces acorns.

An evergreen tree that provides shade & privacy and produces no flowers or fruit is a tall order. Where in the landscape will the trees go? Why no fruit or flowers.