which landscaping material to use?

Old 09-09-07, 03:39 PM
Question which landscaping material to use?

Hi.

I have been trying for over 5 years to find the best landscaping material to use to edge around my house.

The main issue for me is that my house is surrounded by oak and hickory trees that loose a great deal of fruit, leaves, twigs, and branches.

I am trying to find a landscaping material that will allow for me to either sweep, vacuum, or rake up the 'debris.'

The problem with mulch, lava rock, river rock, etc. is that it either gets swept up or vacuumed up when I try to remove the debris. The river rock doesn't move when I try to clean up the debris but a broom or rake doesn't do a very good job with acorns and hickory nuts that get wedged into the river rock.

Would you have any recommendations for a landscaping material that I should use?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-07, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
A chain saw to cut down the trees.

Old 09-09-07, 10:20 PM
Hi Iowa,

I must say you've covered it all. Either plant a ground cover that will allow you to rake or use a blower or cut down the trees.

Newt

Old 09-10-07, 02:14 PM
I was hoping someone would suggest that I pour concrete around the foundation perimeter or use pavers around the perimeter.

I assume that those must not be good options since no one has recommended them. Right?

Old 09-10-07, 02:43 PM

Iowa -

You requested a LANDSCAPING material and not HARDSCAPING materials.

Concrete and pavers are definitely hardscaping according the the common definitions.

Rock has usually been considered a landscaping material because of the compatibility with landscaping and vegitation.

Pavers are a great surfacing material around home since they can shed the water and provide interesting colors and patterns.

Dick

Old 09-10-07, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
Iowa -

You requested a LANDSCAPING material and not HARDSCAPING materials.

Concrete and pavers are definitely hardscaping according the the common definitions.

Rock has usually been considered a landscaping material because of the compatibility with landscaping and vegitation.

Pavers are a great surfacing material around home since they can shed the water and provide interesting colors and patterns.

Dick
There isn't a hardscaping forum on this site.

I would bet that over 85% of the users of this site consider pavers as landscaping material.

I guess I better call Menards and Lowes and tell them that their television commercial that says they are having a landscaping sale shouldn't include the tan pavers since they aren't landscaping material.

Old 09-10-07, 04:37 PM

Landscape architects refers to them a hardscape.

Dick

Old 09-11-07, 06:08 AM
Smile Rocks?

If you use lava rocks or river rocks just use a good leaf blower!!

Old 09-11-07, 12:00 PM
Iowa, you asked for landscaping material around your home and not something solid. It appeared to me that you were referring to a mulch product as you mentioned what would be considered mulches and mentioned "to edege around [your] house". Personally I would never have considered pavers or a hardscape surface against the foundation which is apparently what you are asking for. Since you already considered pavers or concrete, why not just ask what others think of that option? In that case I'm guessing that you don't have any plant material as foundation plantings.

It's often difficult to know what someone has in mind when conversing over the internet, especially without a link to pictures or explicit details.

Newt

Old 10-08-07, 01:13 PM
use a combination of pavers close to the house and then use large type river rock...the kind that's 3-5" diameter. then just use a blower to get it away from house and into yard and rake/bag/mow/whatever.