Formal pathway better solution (?)

Old 09-24-07, 03:05 PM
Formal pathway better solution (?)

The landscaping company we hired for a huge project just finished. We've got quite extensive "formal pathways" throughout; they're the 3 or 4 inch profile steel sides staked into the ground and filled with 1/4 minus gravel, then compacted. Several of them are pretty steep inclines.

The landscaper swears the gravel will continue to compact and "lock in" over time, but I'm skeptical. It seems like there's always gravel we're sweeping up, and any water we spill or that comes out of a hose when we're hand watering drills a hole or carves a slash right through the gravel.

I'm also thinking about what'll happen when we blow leaves off in the fall, but again, the landscaper swears it'll be almost like concrete after awhile.

I'm hoping somebody will either concur with my landscaper or, if not, I was wondering if I might take just some dry mortar mix and sprinkle it onto the pathways, rake it in a bit, then water it down? Could that help things?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-07, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by '1/4 minus gravel' but I'm thinking you mean '1/4" to dust crushed gravel' that is used for pathways, pavers and brick. Here in the east stone dust or crusher run is used, and once properly packed down with a plate tamper and moistened, it hardens like concrete and allows water to drain through.

Do you know if a plate tamper was used to pack it down?

I would suggest you call a local stone yard and ask if this was the proper use for this material considering the result you desire and how to proceed if it isn't.

Newt

Old 09-24-07, 10:50 PM
Newt--

Yes, "1/4 minus" means "1/4 inch crushed gravel and smaller", and yes, they used a motorized compactor and redid it again today with water and a manual tamper.

I suppose I'll cross my fingers with your reply and call it good. Thank you.

Old 09-25-07, 08:20 AM
You are so very welcome! I do hope their renewed efforts give you the effect you need. Please let us know how it turns out.

Newt