Do I have to winterize my sprinkler?

Old 11-16-07, 08:30 AM
Angry Do I have to winterize my sprinkler?

Mine is a new house installed with a 5 zone sprinkler system. I just capped 2 heads in zone 3 for building a deck. I turned on that zone, then shut off the main water supply valve, Turn off that zone. After I digged open the pipe and removed the heads, there was no water running out.

I feel I can do the similar for other zones --
1. turn on water supply,
2. turn on one zone,
3. shut off water supply.
4. turn off that zone.

Repeat the steps for all other zones.
Eventually, open the valve outside, (where pros hook the air compressor). There is no water coming out. I know there might still be some water left in the pipes, but it will not be frozen to that extent to burst open the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-07, 02:54 PM
Not sure I understand the question.

Newt

Old 11-17-07, 03:43 PM
basically, I do not want to use expensive air compressor to "push" out water in all pipes.

thanks.

Old 11-17-07, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by lzhang View Post
basically, I do not want to use expensive air compressor to "push" out water in all pipes.

thanks.
lzhang,
I think what you want to do is gravity drain the system and open it up as much as possible by removing the heads to allow for expansion of any leftover water in the lines.

Personally, I think that's not the best way to winterize your system for a number of reasons! The main reason is that without compressed air, you can't get water out of certain sections of the system like the "Anti-Siphon Valve" and the "Zone Valves." Even a small amount of water in those components if left to freeze will either damage them or shorten their service life.........

The other thing that troubles me about your method is the removal of the heads; that's simply going to allow dirt and crud to enter into the lines over the winter. Unless you flush the the lines real good in the spring, you're going to damage the heads when all that crud gets into the gears and mechanisms in the heads when you start the system.

Also, depending on where you live will determine how you winterize your system. In your last sentence you wrote: "there might still be some water left in the pipes, but it will not be frozen to that extent to burst open the pipe"

In Michigan (where I live) the ground freezes solid for nearly four months and any amount of water left in the system will damage it! Here in Michigan, compressed air is the only way to winterize an irrigation system unless it has been designed to be winterized by a different method.

Maybe where you live it doesn't get so cold and a little leftover water in the lines wont hurt anything?

But don't underestimate the power of "Freeze-N-Thaw"
It can do a lot more damage than you think!
Phil

Old 11-17-07, 08:25 PM
I totally agree with Phil.

Newt

Old 11-19-07, 07:38 AM
thank you, phil,
I am not removing the heads. I removed 2 of them because I have to build a deck over them. I will take you advice and call in pros to do the winterization. Thanks again.

Old 11-19-07, 08:24 AM
Like he said, it depends on where you live. Here in N. Texas, DFW area the ground only freezes a few inches down if that.
Do you experts recommend same blow-out winterization method or is there something else to do?