water run off floods yard and edge of woods

Old 02-01-08, 06:57 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water run off floods yard and edge of woods

Hello I have just moved into a new house here on the eastern shore Maryland. My house is sitting in the woods with 7 acres. The problem i am having is where my back yard meets the begining of the woods, the floor of the forest is higher. My property seems to have a slight grade to it and where it meets the woods water seems to sit there for a few days .I have been filling some low spots with some dirt but making matters worse. I just put a fence up for my dogs and didn't relize the yard is like soup with a good rain. Also there is another new house next to me that sits a lot higher then mine and i get a lot of runoff from his property into my driveway towards my garage. I have noticed there are some kind of gray looking clay that is very hard in the dirt. I need help in resolving this because one of the areas where the water is running i want to put a 16x24 work shop. Im concern in the sumer with misqutoes and ticks. Any advice would be helpfull thanks.
David

Last edited by twelvepole; 02-01-08 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Email address removed. No email addresses allowed in forums.
Old 02-01-08, 11:49 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Drainage ditches or french drains along the base of the slopes that direct water onto your property would help resolve the issue. A consultation with a landscape engineer would be informative.

Mosquitoes are always a concern where there is standing water. Ticks are always problem when you live in the woods. Apply insect repellent such as Deet and check yourself for ticks after being outdoors.

Water in the landscape is not quickly absorbed where the soil is marine clay along the eastern coast. Make sure lawn slopes away from structure in order to carry excess water away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: