Tree Planting on slope

Old 01-18-08, 11:55 AM
Tree Planting on slope

I am going to start a landscaping project this spring and have a question about planting on a small slope. My backyard slopes down from the house and then finished up by sloping up at the back of the lot. This creates a drainage area so there is proper drainage in our community. The slope is not that big. From the lowest point to the highest I would say it's about 7 feet with a pitch maybe 2.5 feet. Behind this slope is our wooden fence. I want to plant a verity of trees along that fence line, but concerned about plant on the slope. My concern is if the trees would get enough water. I say that because it seems like that area of the yard is always the driest, as water runs to the bottom of the slope. Am I thinking right or just crazy? Now I could build bed out of timbers giving the trees a level planting area, but $$ is a big concern. Anyway, opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-08, 11:03 AM
Planting native species would tend to provide more drought tolerant tree species. For more info on drought tolerant species: http://forestry.about.com/gi/dynamic...iles/sp570.pdf

Old 01-29-08, 01:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't be overly concerned about the trees not getting water. Obviously you need to water them until they get established but the roots will seek out the water.

I would be more concerned that the root structure might affect the fence years from now.

Old 01-29-08, 01:25 PM
Thanks for your comments.