What type of Piping for Irrigation


Old 02-10-08, 12:50 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 102
What type of Piping for Irrigation

I have 120 feet X 100' yard and my hose does not reach the far end. I want to build a Pipeline for 100 feet and put a facet at the middle and end of the yard. I Plan to water trees and shrubs

My questions are:

1) What is the Pipe material and Size?
2) Should I bury it (I live in GA and some time the ground freezes)
3) I know how to run the copper pipe inside the basement and bring it outside, but not sure how I do this outside in my yard

Thanks for your response
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-08, 05:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 176
You could get by with 3/4" black polyethelene utility grade, however I would use 1" just in case you need more water in the future. I can't imagine the ground freezing too deep in Georgia, and your pipe should be buried at least 10" deep in the soil. If there is a threat of freezing, simply drain the pipe in the winter. Another thing to consider is a Back-flow preventer to protect your domestic drinking water from reverse flow contamination which is a law in all states. This will be mounted a minimum of 12" above your highest spigot usually in the immediate vicinity of the exit pipe from the house supply. the supply pipe from the house can be Iron, copper, pvc, pex or even black polyethelene, however the first three would be the best. There should be a ball valve first to shut off the supply outside followed by a boiler drain or equiv. to drain the water back.
Old 02-11-08, 06:26 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 102
Thanks for your help

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes