tree distance to house and utilities

Old 02-14-08, 07:08 AM
tree distance to house and utilities

I am looking into these trees.

The comments say to plant away from house and water lines and I was just wondering what kind of distance is safe. It wouldn't be near a water line, but in between the house and some buried utilities (elec, phone, cable). Probably 10 ft from each.

Is this a safe distance? Find another tree? (looking for fast growing, not necessarily shade, zone 5)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-08, 08:45 AM
The roots won't bother electric, phone, or cable lines at all (they will just go around them).

I would hesitat to plant it 10 feet from a house, especially if it is on the up-wind side of the house. Poplars are weak trees and will lose branches in wind or ice. You can expect a lot of leaves and small branches on your roof. Once the tree gets big, a good storm could knock it over.

Old 02-14-08, 12:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
With the spread of these trees, you should keep them a bit further apart and from the house. It doesn't indicate weather the root systen is deep or shallow, but usually the roots equal the drip line of the tree.

Old 02-14-08, 02:59 PM
The vendor's website states that the tree lives only 25 years. That is a rather short life span for a tree. I would look for something more permanent. There are many trees that grow rapidly and provide plenty of shade, and live longer than 25 years. Maple, for instance.

Old 02-15-08, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
These hybrid poplars are fast growing but truly live only 20 to 25 years. Maybe you can alternate them with some soft maples or an equiv. and when the poplars die there will be a tree there to replace them. These will be very vigorous for the first 10 -15 years, then their health goes down hill fast and they fall in the wind.

Old 02-15-08, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I will look into another tree.

Old 02-15-08, 06:27 PM
I'm glad I clicked into this thread. I think it is so neat how many different trees and plants you can choose from. I think I want a couple trees now! 20 years is a very short lifespan for a tree. My personaly favorites are the white birch and the weeping willow that I saw on there!

We live in Connecticut. Would any of the trees from that website do well in our seasonal climate? Thanks!!

..Goodluck with your decision

Old 02-24-08, 04:54 PM
Placement of trees in the landscape should be determined by size at maturity. Tree branches at maturity should be no closer than about 15 feet to the structure. Consideration should be given to the invasiveness of the root system.

White birch is native to Connecticut. Depending on growing conditions, the white birch can reach 60-70' at maturity. There are many varieties of willow trees. Shallow rooted like the white birch, weeping willow, which is the most popular willow, is found along stream banks and in damp meadows and can reach 30-40 feet at maturity.

Your local Cooperative Extension Agent or Soil & Water Conservation Office can provide you with a list of trees that do well in your area. Knowing the size at maturity and the characteristics of trees, can help narrow down your decision.